New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hola amigos !! And that's all the spanish I know.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hola amigos !! And that's all the spanish I know.

Here's my rig. I have never been a "car guy" before.....never liked to tinker under the hood or hang out in the garage....but hey, it's never too late to learn something new, right ? I have a garage and my Rover has a hood and I'm tired of my old hobbies. I think I'd like to do some off roading! I live in Oregon and have loved the look of these things forever.... (I used to watch Daktari as a kid, maybe that has something to do with it)......

Anyways.... this last weekend.... I changed the oil myself....ooohh....ahhh.... yea.... amazing. Gotta start small huh? Then I went to the local boneyard and salvaged a couple parts I needed. How's that for grease monkey work eh?

Other than that, I brew my own beer, write and illustrate my own zombie apocalypse comic... and work for the Utility company as a meter reader for my day job....which means I walk a lot. And that's my hello.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling

So I'm doing my Disco's first oil change. I consult the manual, open the filler cap, get my oil pan, sockets and rag ready and crawl under there. I have a lot of clearance and didn't even need to roll it up on stands. With not too much effort and no busted knuckles, I get the plug out.... and black, black ..... deep space black hole black... liquid pours out into the pan. I'm thinking.... whoa, this baby was over due. So as its draining I crawl out and look over the manual again and notice that it seems to be quite insistent that I be careful not to overfill the reservoir. As a matter of fact it clearly states (as you can see highlighted in yellow) that if I do over fill it..... I need to have a "SERVICE TECHNICIAN" help me fix it.

Ok... time elapses..... I clean off the drain, put the plug back in and fill it with oil. I check the dipstick. Looks ok....needs a little more actually. I put in some more.....wait a bit.... check the stick again.... still not quite there. So I put in just a bit more.... wait, and check the dipstick and ITS A HALF INCH OVER FULL !!

What did I do ? Have a service tech fix it for me? NO !! I crawl under there again, get my cleaned pan in place and open the plug again and let some fresh oil drain out. Why would anyone call a service technician for that?

Getting the plug back in while oil is draining out at the same time was kinda fun..... and messy

Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muy Bien Senor! Usted es muy divertido. Un poco loco, pero gracioso. Bienvenidos!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 AM
LR1
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abnormals_anonymous
Muy Bien Senor! Usted es muy divertido. Un poco loco, pero gracioso. Bienvenidos!

Welcome!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by LR1

Welcome!
Are you the ‘Welcome Wagon’ of the 21st Century? The 1950’s called – they want their gift basket back. Although I suppose they’re coveted by collectors so I could see how you’d want to keep it..

Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abnormals_anonymous
I used an online spanish to english translator and I want to say....

Thanks

Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Senormac
I used an online spanish to english translator and I want to say....

Thanks

De nada! And LR1? I'm just joshing you man. Oh how I would LOVE to receive a mysterious gift basket from a welcome wagon - lol...

Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling

So today, after work, I'm thinking.... how about changing a tire? Or at least going through the motions, since I don't have a flat. My trusty Owner's Handbook says that there is a jack under the hood. I look. Ya ya.... there it is. I unstrap it from this stretchy black bungie cord thing and lift it out. Cool....it even says "Land Rover" right on the label. I'm in business !!

Once again I consult my trusty Owners manual and find that there is a "tool kit/pouch" in the tray of the back door. That's the door at the back where you stuff kid (or bottom of the pecking order friend) # 6 and #7. The tool kit should have the rest of the jack....namely the two piece bar you connect together and that you use to actually raise the jack. Also, some tire chocks, and a lug nut ....tire wrench....crow bar thing. I go back there, open the door and find....

nuthin

Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling

lol... dude, I feel your pain. You're cracking me up though with your narrative. Will this be an ongoing show because if it is I want a season's pass. Seriously. I'm loving it.

I think you can buy that 'little black bag' with all of the accoutrements on ebay for roughly $135? A little pricey I know. I checked last year when a buddy of mine said that he 'wished he had a little black bag' like I had. Yeah, I know how weird that sounds but it's true

Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling

But am I discouraged? No way !! "Necessity is a mothers intention" ....or sumpthin like that. I look around in the garage and find a piece of metal pipe that looks like it's just the right size. It doesn't have all the cool little Land Rover notches and measurements..... but it fits

Since I don't have the "Official Land Rover tire chocks" that are in my missing tool pouch, I have to once again improvise. I decide upon something that I feel my Land Rover tires will be at home with. That they will be comfortable resting against. Some things that have been around since......well, since I guess the third day. Not sure what everyone calls them in your neck of the woods, but out here in Oregon, we call them "rocks"

Quick Reply: Hola amigos !! And that's all the spanish I know.