New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member, Past Rover owner, Possible future Rover owner,,, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, Past Rover owner, Possible future Rover owner,,, Questions

Hi everyone,

New member here and seeking some answers from some questions I have. I'm a previous Land Rover owner and currently a Toyota owner. I previously owned a Range Rover Classic and a Discovery 2. The Range Rover Classic was not as quirky as the Discovery 2. But I did prefer the Discovery 2 over the Range Rover Classic as I just felt the Discovery 2 was meant for work. But both vehicles at times left me with headaches but never stranded. I do perform my own mechanical work on my own vehicles myself unless it gets to become issues like head gasket and more internally based issues with an engine - in this case I would find an independent shop to work on it and never the stealership. So anyways parts like fuel pumps, alternators, spark plugs, radiators, water pump, brakes, valve cover gaskets and more is things I don't mind to tackle myself.

Above I'm just giving the kind of person I am

Anyways I've been looking at for some time the Land Rover LR3/Discovery 3 and the prices have started to fall more lately due to age, miles, the newer LR4's and I guess the new Discovery Sport - which I care not much for. Anyways I'm basically wondering if the LR3 is more reliable than what the Discovery 2's and older Range Rover's were? I've heard and read a lot of good response and reviews from owners who say it's the most reliable Land Rover to date. Would you find this to be true? Do you find them more reliable? What issues have you experienced? Have you had to take your LR3 into the shop because of something you couldn't fix? Reliability is my main concerns and no model, vehicle or anything is perfect and things will happen with time. I know some people might say that if reliability is your main concern than forget a Land Rover. But like I said I have read nothing but mostly great stories and reviews. I think at times Land Rover gets a bad name for it because a lot of people buy as a second or third owner and when something goes wrong they don't know what to do and take it straight to the dealership - it's ether they don't know what to do or have no knowledge of mechanics under the hood. And when that second or third owner sees the bill they about s**t their pants at the cost. I don't care what brand or make of vehicle you buy these days, if you enter the dealership for repair it's gonna cost you a pretty penny. Although Land Rover's can be at times a little more pricier for repairs, I think some second and third owners think since it cost a lot that that always represents top quality but Land Rover is like any other auto company in repair and cost. Can't be any worse than a crappy Jeep made product. Most Jeeps I have seen are trash and the repair costs at dealers is beyond what a Jeep is worth and even the price you pay for a Jeep.

So anyways with the LR3 what you guys/gals have to say? Any thoughts? Advice? Warnings? Anything? Btw I do like the idea and coolness of the air suspension although I will more than likely remove it and do a new suspension without air.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Run33; 05-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

welcome. the 3 seems both reliable and capable. they have there "things" but nothing like the d2

Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply Dusty1. Btw gotta love some TPB lol, huge fan lol

Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do a search on III you will see they have there own issues

Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 PM
6th Gear

So I thought if I decide to purchase an LR3 I'll replace the lower control arms with new ones, replace the air struts with a coil spring conversion and install the Johnson arms. Would this be a pretty nice move and reliable I'm pretty sure. What does everyone think?

Thanks