New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Things to look for when buying Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to look for when buying Disco 2

Hello. New member here. My 2005 Nissan Altima decided to blow a hole in the engine block yesterday so I decided that if I was going to get a. Ew car I would finally get a Disco 2. I found a couple in the $3k range (my budget for now). Going to look at them tomorrow.

So my question is barring something very obviously wrong with the vehicle, what should I be looking for specific to the LR Disco 2?

All the vehicles are between 2001 and 2003 and have 200k miles +/- 25k.

Any my advice would be greatly appreciated.

My end end goal would be to eventually trick this thing out and make it an off-road/camping beast, but for now it just needs to be my daily driver.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Try to find out if it has ever been overheated or has head gaskets leaking anti-freeze, which will most likely be evident along the rear of the engine along bell-housing. Usually, head gasket go bad around a hundred thousand mile mark. So, maybe these Dll have already been done. They can also blow a head gasket but not leak fluid. These ones will sound like they have an exhaust leak.

Then there is the notorious "tick". If it has any type of ticking coming from the engine, be warned that it could be something very serious/expensive to repair, or time comsuming/mildly expensive. My tick on our 03 turned out being a slipped sleeve, the expensive repair, but the engine had been overheated so bad by the previous owner...the block and crank were junk.

Be sure to take each vehicles for a lengthy test drive, and if they give you any resistance about doing that...walk away.

Then there are the numerous electrical issues, ABS/TC dash lights coming on and emission faults that constantly appear. Most are just minor repairs and if you are somewhat mechanically inclined...you'll be fine.

One thing you have to be sure of, before buying one of these vehicles is...you better really, really want one...or the issues may become overwhelming. Just bare in mind, you're buying a thirteen to seventeen year old vehicle, so they come with some age-inhernet issues.

Hopefully, others will chime in and guide you in the right direction.

Brian.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Every thing Deputy said....
Don't know your location......check for RUST!

Old 02-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling

What are the advantages of an SE7 to an SD or SE? I know that some of that is "perks" for the car but I wasn't sure about build difference.

I've found a few SD, and a few SE7, just not sure I can afford the SE7 right now (unless it's worth it)

Also, I've read people say that 2003 Disco 2 not being worth the trouble. Is that an opinion or a pretty widely regarded fact?

I live in Nashville, TN so rust isn't as much an issue for me.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Mainly, the differences are options.

My 01 is an SD...and it doesn't have sunroofs, arm rest, cup holders, foglights, better backup lights, etc. Has vinyl seats, basic radio, etc.

My wife's 03 is an HSE...and has all of the above, but has leather seats and navigation radio.

I believe the "7" stands for seating; holds seven passengers.

Yes, check the frame rails out for rust and floor pans. Floors will rust out from leakage around windshield cowl. Drove my SD through the vehicle wash at work...yes, nice perk...and the floor was ringing wet along the floor mats, both sides.

Brian.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling

I've found a few '04 and a few 01-02 models for sale around here. All look to be over the 125k mile mark.

Is it safe to think that if it was going to have major problems they would have had them already at that mileage?

And if the major repairs have been made (head gaskets, oil pump, etc) is there a large chance they will happen again? I don't want to assume that replacing the engine will fix the original problem permanently.

I'm driving several over the next few days. Been reading forums on things to look for. Fingers crossed.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Jsivey
I've found a few '04 and a few 01-02 models for sale around here. All look to be over the 125k mile mark.

Is it safe to think that if it was going to have major problems they would have had them already at that mileage?

And if the major repairs have been made (head gaskets, oil pump, etc) is there a large chance they will happen again? I don't want to assume that replacing the engine will fix the original problem permanently.

I'm driving several over the next few days. Been reading forums on things to look for. Fingers crossed.
One can only assume mechanical longevity, once an engine has crested the 100K marker. But, yes...if the head gaskets were done around 100K, then you could reasonably "assume" it would be good for another 100K. However, there is always the gray-area of who did the work and how well the job was done...and sometimes bad-luck just rears its ugly head.

Do a lengthy road test, check all fluid levels before and after, check every switch on the dash, storage and dash center console. Make sure to use the H/L shifter, and CDL if available. You don't want to find out the cable or shift housing is shot...after buying. Look to see if it has an upgraded front driveshaft (greaseable), this is a plus.

Good luck, and keep doing your research...hopefully it will pay off. I'd keep an eye on the for sale section of this board. Nice Discovery's can be found there, also.

Brian.