Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo charging a RR 4.6 HSE

Old 07-04-2005, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo charging a RR 4.6 HSE

Has anyone turbo-charged a P38 Range Rover - particularly a 4.6HSE ?

I havent been able to find a kit so have done some basic investigations. My conclusions are:

- A twin turbo configuration would be best since smaller units like the Garrett T03 are available from RS turbos or Garrett T04s from a Nissan 300ZX - these seem to fit the turbo maps if use low boost pressure
- But routing from the drivers side manifold looks problematic due to the steering column. What would be the implication of only fitting one turbo to one manifold - would it cause backpressure problems?

Questions I have

- Where would be the best point in RPMs to apply what level of boost?
- How do I feed oil to the turbo for lubrication?
- Does the turbo management need to be intregrated with the ECU or can a seperate controller be used?
- What other components other than brakes would need to be uprated?
- Would the compression ratio need to be dropped or could a smaller level of boost be used ?

Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Turbo charging a RR 4.6 HSE

Following on from my original post about the feasibility of turbocharging a Range Rover, I have set up a website dedicated to this project which provides more information on where I have got to so far.

Information can be found at http://turbo.actimedia.com

Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

Yep, I've got one...........Built by ADI Engineering - a hybrid watercooled turbo running at about 7.5 psi runnig through an intercooler on a standard engine.[IMG][/IMG]
Runs on LPG through a multipoint Etagas injection system (fully Mappable). Power & torque ..........Loads. Mpg 13.75 on gas
(43 mpg by Price)Yes 43!
Brakes - AP Racing 6 pots on the front.
This car now has 80k on it....I've owned it for the past 60k and it is 100% reliable.

AND I've got a spare system (ecu, bumper, intercooler, turbo, exhaust, plumbing, loom etc) anyone interested?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1191/5A98AD024A5746ACA3C5E48C8B673B29.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Overlanding

I'm sorry...did you say 43 mpg? Could you elaborate a little more on this? I must be missing something, here.

Edit: Okay, I did a little research since posting this. Still, I'd like to know a bit more on what was done to convert your Disco to burn LPG. Forgive my ignorance on alternative fuels.

-C.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good God!

I bet with the 4x4 it would hook like a beast on the track! We need a 60ft time please

Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Overlanding

How much???

Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Three Wheeling

LPG is a lot different than the pump gas we all use.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: jonno

Yep, I've got one...........Built by ADI Engineering - a hybrid watercooled turbo running at about 7.5 psi runnig through an intercooler on a standard engine.[IMG][/IMG]
Runs on LPG through a multipoint Etagas injection system (fully Mappable). Power & torque ..........Loads. Mpg 13.75 on gas
(43 mpg by Price)Yes 43!
Brakes - AP Racing 6 pots on the front.
This car now has 80k on it....I've owned it for the past 60k and it is 100% reliable.

AND I've got a spare system (ecu, bumper, intercooler, turbo, exhaust, plumbing, loom etc) anyone interested?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1191/5A98AD024A5746ACA3C5E48C8B673B29.jpg[/IMG]
Start to finish... what did it run? Very Curious! Thanks!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the Yanks, LPG=Propane Gas=Propane Petrol=Gasoline.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 AM
4wd Low

hey there, I didn't catch the year of your vehicle, is it a later P38 with Bosch fuel management or a Gem set up? I have a shop, deal a lot with Land Rover mods, repairs and upgrades etc. I have been looking into the classes at Cerritos Community College that give a 4 day intensive workshop on LPG conversions and bi fuel set ups. Very interested in this application as a "test mule". I live in Washington State on an island between Canada (lookin at Canada from my window right now) and here we have NO emmissions regulations etc. The class in Cerritos is California and that State has the toughest standards on the globe for emmissions as well as tight regulations on any modifications to any OBDII platform. Thus, since it's CARB (cal air resource board) certified, I am confident it's a good program. Once more, being on an Island (yeah, where "free *****" was last filmed, LPG has great potential as we have 2 LPG companies plus a fill station across the street from my shop. Lots of folks just have "Island" cars and we'd be best described as the Martha's Vinyard of the west coast. Lots of money here, (No, I am not one of em) I just serve the "fat cats" and the segment of the island most interested in this idea would be the "earthy" crowd of folks who would really tune into the idea of all the benefits provided by LPG. MORE economy, less pollution, lower maintenance, less wear and tear etc. I am working on doing both LPG only conversion for the Island only cars and then bi fuel conversions on vehicles that go on and off the island via Ferry. It is a great opportunity for a new market, but more importantly, its the RIGHT thing to dofor the planet. Any light you could shed on the subject would be great including links, experiences, pro's and con's etc.

Getting away from dino blood and foreign dependence is a real priority in my mind. Politically speaking, I haven't got any "one mindset" , it's more of a global thing and I think what you've done is spectacular. The mileage increase is baffling to me based on my research thus far but I am open minded to whatever is plausible and also reliable. I would outfit my 03' Disco 4.6 first before touching customer's cars, and I have a couple of vehicles in mind (pre OBDII) that wouldbe first to be converted exclusively to present to the community as options to stir some interest. I didn't catch where you are from, have you had any difficulties with emmissions or the "modification" issue? I am not shy about doing any customizing and fitting, do it all the time, its my passion.

This fuel issue though, it's made me to ashamed to drive my Monster truck outfitted with 600+ HP via hand built 460 bigblock and nitrous (single stage) that sits about 12" over stock in suspension and then add the 39" tires, you get the idea. I haven't moved it in a year except to drive it for longevity and love. But, my point is, I just can't see using that thing and at the same time being environmentally in tune with my ideals.

Sorry, you just asked if someone was interested in buying the stuff, I poured way too much other thoughts into this post, it's just that you've gotten somewhere I really respect and want to move towards. anyways, let me know what you can. appreciate the time and energy you put into what you've done and then shared it with us out here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo charging a RR 4.6 HSE