Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Calling all Fabricators

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Calling all Designers/Fabricators/Artists

So I want to create a tailgate display for autumn and I thought that maybe I could find some old truck parts at the junkyard and hire someone to build something along these lines. What do you guys think is a reasonable quote for fabrication? Any ideas of where I can start to find someone to build something similar? I know there are guys that like doing this kind of thing.

Obviously I'd have to figure out a way to get the parts off of the vehicle at the pick and pull/junkyard too

I know it doesn't involve a Rover but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 03-09-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

One step closer..

Old 03-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Huh. I thought that there would be more interest in this kind of thing on an automobile forum. Guess I was wrong. I’ve sold quite a few 1950s Jeep ****** grills this past year and I have a bunch of matching tailgates that I’m making into coat racks for hanging on a wall. Using tow hooks for the coat hooks. Call it what you want but I enjoy doing this kind of thing. Keeps me out of trouble and my mind engaged. My husband thinks I’m a little odd but hey, aren’t we all. To each his own.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Huh. I thought that there would be more interest in this kind of thing on an automobile forum. Guess I was wrong. I’ve sold quite a few 1950s Jeep ****** grills this past year and I have a bunch of matching tailgates that I’m making into coat racks for hanging on a wall. Using tow hooks for the coat hooks. Call it what you want but I enjoy doing this kind of thing. Keeps me out of trouble and my mind engaged. My husband thinks I’m a little odd but hey, aren’t we all. To each his own.

It's a cool project no doubt. I've made a few "loveseats" years ago from the back seats of BMWs and Mercedes. And a few office chairs from the same cars too.

The good thing about your project is there really isn't a ton of fab. Once you plan the layout the fab will be in a frame (mostly square tube) to hold all the bits on. As for cost, can't say but any welding shop can handle this job. It's so simple the shop would probably put "the new guy" on it. Make some calls to General Welding Shops or even to an Auto Collision Shop for a quote and/or a referral. Or you could always go waaaaaaaaaaay simple(see pic)

Most important ..... Have Fun and Good Luck!

Last edited by OverRover; 03-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OverRover

The good thing about your project is there really isn't a ton of fab. It's so simple the shop would probably put "the new guy" on it. Make some calls to General Welding Shops or even to an Auto Collision Shop for a quote and/or a referral. Or you could always go waaaaaaaaaaay simple(see pic)

Most important ..... Have Fun and Good Luck!

haha.. so that's what those ramp thingies are for Thanks for making me feel somewhat normal OverRover, and thank you for your suggestions - I do appreciate it.

I'm all for simple and, following your suggestions, have come up with a list of potential welders in the area. There's a place that sandblasts and powder coats in my area. I've taken projects to them before and I forgot that they do welding too. There's also a student Career Tech Center that takes on projects from time to time and quite a few craigslist welders (never know what you're getting there tho )

I was looking for suggestions as I took 3 pieces of inexpensive metal 'gates' to a welder in the area and they charged me over $120 to hinge it together. I realize that everyone needs to get paid for work that they do and I am not one to cheap out when good work is done. A win/win though, is always nice to find. Keeps the customer coming back for more, you know?

Good call on the tetanus shot. It has been awhile! I spoke with someone that knows the character that runs the junkyard and he told me 'it wouldn't be a bad idea to take him beer, bud light or something, let him warm up to you..establish a relationship, make a few trips before buying anything and just so you know.. he's into non-PC jokes'.

...and here I was thinking I'd just drive up with a Uhaul, pay the man, and load er up So much for straight forward business deals Does that sounds like fun???

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 03-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Can't help you much with the costings KD (wrong side of the pond here) but I reckon it's a cool project though for an auto themed seat.

Just as extra comment, it's gotta be something like a Chevy tailgate or similar, must be strictly a US auto, no Jap or even UK stuff please.

As an aside, they had a great TV programme yesterday evening about Duxford Airbase (Norfolk) used for a USAAF base during WW2.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 03-12-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I dig the idea, of course I also like the ramp shelf to.....

Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Can't help you much with the costings KD (wrong side of the pond here) but I reckon it's a cool project though for an auto themed seat.

Just as extra comment, it's gotta be something like a Chevy tailgate or similar, must be strictly a US auto, no Jap or even UK stuff please.

As an aside, they had a great TV programme yesterday evening about Duxford Airbase (Norfolk) used for a USAAF base during WW2.
Originally Posted by ArmyRover;
I dig the idea, of course I also like the ramp shelf to....
Thanks you two! I'm a huge corndog and love to come up with new ideas for the shop on a seasonal basis. Trying to stay one step ahead of the game but it's not always easy. Usually the season approaches and I'm standing there wondering where in the heck I stashed that cool, old, red bobsled or didn't I have a large paper mache bunny from Alice in Wonderland somewhere? Last year I went with a road trip theme for summer and actually had the headlights light up on the old Jeep ****** grill. It's always interesting to hear the comments from customers or people passing by. Believe it or not, I had guys going crazy over the grills but it was the women who bought them! Nostalgia is crazy - and emotion is where it's at.

I'm hurting today. I delivered a headboard that sold earlier in the week, got it stuck halfway in the Rover while trying to load it yesterday morning, cursed the 'bloody fool' who said that I'd deliver it , thought I'd have to find someone with a winch to pull it back out, got it stuck under the rear cargo door, thought I was going to break a window, declined the help of three passerbys, it started to snow on me and I cursed some more haha.. at least I got it to where it needed to go today. After that whole ordeal, I moved a dresser down to the store and crawled into a corner, painted it and a matching mirror and then put it all back together again. I think I've been lifting too much. My joints are killing me (mainly arm sockets!).

Offroad.. what was the name of the program? I'd like to check it out.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
.................................................. .......

Offroad.. what was the name of the program? I'd like to check it out.
In all honesty KD, I don't know. I tuned into it after it had started but I vaguely recollect it was on Blaze or PBS early in the evening. Sorry, not much help on this one.