Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Damn Rover Bug

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Damn Rover Bug

Update on my Jeep project... I hated driving it. Dusty called it. It was horrible on road. Short wheel base, 4 inches of lift, Lockers, 4.11's, and 33's were quite the handful on the road.

I spent 4.5 weeks working on it marathon style. 3 am thrashing. Getting it ready for an upcoming road trip to Utah. My buddy helped me weld and set up the driveline angles. New spring perches and shock mounts. Coil over axle conversion. Long travel shocks. HD rear shafts. Electrical. Lights. Paint job. New wheels and tires. You name it I did it. I was determined to make this trip. And I knew I hated driving it it the first 2 miles on the highway. It was fantastic off road. Horrendous on road. It looked bad ***. It was really really good offroad. Probably the best I've had. I went a little crazy with the lights.

Name:  post_image4_zpsz2bmeyyv.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  8.6 KB
Name:  post_image2_zpsrmyq5vrk.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  10.4 KB

I knew I was selling it before I was done with it. I started looking for the next truck before it was sold. I looked at Cherokee Xj's Broncos, a suburban, a few pick ups and even a few internationals. I even considered financing a Fj Cruiser. Still the Rover bug persisted. ..Every time I thought about the perfect dual purpose vehicle I kept coming back to Land Rover. Trying to talk myself out of it I kept looking at other trucks.

So I said screw it. I'm gonna get another. But not just any old one. I wanted an RRC. Simple yet comfortable to drive on a road trip. Which is exactly what I want this for. This time it gets built the way I want and I'm not going to be paranoid about this damn aluminum motor.

So 3 weeks ago I picked up a 1990 Rover classic. 140k miles. Decent maintenance records. Head gaskets done. Best part is...it's already got a but of a head start in the offroad department. The previous owner didn't lift it correctly but it's a start. I have gotten really lucky locally and on ebay in the last few weeks. I've amassed a ton of parts for this thing. Now I am going through maintenance and setting up the suspension.

Name:  20141022_160202_zpsznburxmm.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  60.4 KB

Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Too funny! Hope you made out ok on the build/sale of the jeep. Nice looking Classic, though. Guess it's time to update your signature.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

hahahaha. that's great. been there.......more than once....still have trucks that I have built out of a drivable comfort range.
that is a very nice looking rrc. good choice. still on the hunt for mine.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is it a short or long wheel base?
does it have a rear sway bar?
mine took a while to get used to the handling.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

No rear sway. Yea the handling was a little strange at first. But I had both sway bars of the Discovery at one point so it wasn't to unexpected.

Its a short wheelbase. Zero rust. 3.9. Power seats that work. Cruise control that works. Ac that works. Leather that isn't ripped all to hell. I'd start a build thread on it but the Range Rover section is dead. Guess I can't post in the D1 section

I made a good profit on the Jeep. I had enough to buy this truck with a good chunk left over. I love the look of these trucks. Once I had the idea in my head I had to have one. I was looking as far away as Phoenix. Luckily I found this one a lot closer.

I have a set of 265/75/16 Mud tires I got in a trade on there currently. I don't like them at all. I am already shopping for a set of Grabber AT2.

I want this at 3-4 inches of lift like I should have done before. Taking advice from Fish, longer travel shocks as well. I have my RTE cranked arms front and rear. Brand new set of stainless brake lines although I'm scared to bleed this massive ABS master cylinder. Diff protection, sliders, all part of the build.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That jeep looks pretty sweet though.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Update on my Jeep project... I hated driving it. Dusty called it. It was horrible on road. Short wheel base, 4 inches of lift, Lockers, 4.11's, and 33's were quite the handful on the road.

I spent 4.5 weeks working on it marathon style. 3 am thrashing. Getting it ready for an upcoming road trip to Utah. My buddy helped me weld and set up the driveline angles. New spring perches and shock mounts. Coil over axle conversion. Long travel shocks. HD rear shafts. Electrical. Lights. Paint job. New wheels and tires. You name it I did it. I was determined to make this trip. And I knew I hated driving it it the first 2 miles on the highway. It was fantastic off road. Horrendous on road. It looked bad ***. It was really really good offroad. Probably the best I've had. I went a little crazy with the lights.

I knew I was selling it before I was done with it. I started looking for the next truck before it was sold. I looked at Cherokee Xj's Broncos, a suburban, a few pick ups and even a few internationals. I even considered financing a Fj Cruiser. Still the Rover bug persisted. ..Every time I thought about the perfect dual purpose vehicle I kept coming back to Land Rover. Trying to talk myself out of it I kept looking at other trucks.

So I said screw it. I'm gonna get another. But not just any old one. I wanted an RRC. Simple yet comfortable to drive on a road trip. Which is exactly what I want this for. This time it gets built the way I want and I'm not going to be paranoid about this damn aluminum motor.

So 3 weeks ago I picked up a 1990 Rover classic. 140k miles. Decent maintenance records. Head gaskets done. Best part is...it's already got a but of a head start in the offroad department. The previous owner didn't lift it correctly but it's a start. I have gotten really lucky locally and on ebay in the last few weeks. I've amassed a ton of parts for this thing. Now I am going through maintenance and setting up the suspension.

Nice RRC. Looks the business. I owned an '83 from nearly new (the old guy who owned it unfortunately croaked) which my former wife used everyday. It sported a 3.5L (sleeved down Buick type engine) naturally aspirated lump. Same as this for colour (horrible) with (horrible) velour tan interior. Only difference was it was 4 door and this is an earlier 2 door. Great old truck though even back then. It had a manual stick shift

http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwBA&dur=1441

Old 11-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad your back at giving a Rover a good life. They can be whatever you want them to be. I'm sure the Disco taugh you some of the limitations on what a Rover can and cannot be so go forth and prosper........ I had two close calls in my CJ7 and on both occasions I sucked up a seat cushion.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Clean looking RRC glad to have you back where you belong.

Also I have requested that they add a build thread sub forum under the General Land rover forum. Hopefully they will approve it and we will have it up and running in a few days.