Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

The hidden needs of the Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The hidden needs of the Land Rover

Good afternoon Gents and Ladies,

I was hoping that you may be able to offer some help towards a Master's Thesis in collaboration with Jaguar Land Rover and Loughborough University.

At Jaguar Land Rover we have successfully used an innovation process based on hidden needs methodologies to create innovative products for Chassis Systems. By understanding customers’ unmet requirements we can uncover what they need, and what they want to achieve when using our products. A much more powerful baseline for innovation. It is this principle that has lead me to your forum.

I am currently working with the Human Factors Department at JLR in order to answer a question with an elusive answer: What are the unmet requirements (barriers) faced by novice off-road drivers to driving an all-terrain capable vehicle away from a tarmacked road?

I would like to know any particular challenges faced by Land Rover owners when they take their vehicle off-road (examples: Human machine interface, ergonomic, psychological issues) and how would they like to see it improved.

Please note that relevant points will be cited in the final report and will make a genuine contribution to improving the Land Rover experience.

For more information I can be contacted on: mattsnodin@hotmail.co.uk

Much appreciated,

Matt Snodin

Loughborough Uni-
BEng Mechanical Engineering
MSc Human Factors / Ergonomics

Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

On the psychological, every time I take my Rovers off-road I become depressed that the Defender will no longer be a giant Meccano set.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Centre difflock warning sign would be useful so when returning to the tarmac it doesn't destroy the shafts or diff.

On another unrelated subject, chassis (frame) corrosion is a major factor for use offroad along with water ingress.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Centre difflock warning sign would be useful so when returning to the tarmac it doesn't destroy the shafts or diff.

Did they remove the diff lock warning light in the DII?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

not on a 2000

Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

"What are the unmet requirements (barriers) faced by novice off-road drivers to driving an all-terrain capable vehicle away from a tarmacked road?"

I don't know, perhaps the fear of damaging a vehicle you are still making payments on is one of the barriers?

I remember participating in an offroad event sponsored by Land Rover almost 25 years ago. The conditions were a little muddy and most of the people decided to stay down in the ski lodge where they could eat and drink rather than run the risk of damaging their brand new vehicles. The only incident, for me, was when we were queued on a steep hill getting ready to start. The guy in front of me had a 1994 DI. He couldn't engage the clutch quickly enough and kept stalling out. With no room to back up my brand new Range Rover, he slammed into my front bumper. Only with the help of my 4400 pound vehicle holding him in place was he able to start the course. He bailed out shortly after that.

My point in the story is twofold. First, there's the damage issue but secondly, just because you own a Land Rover doesn't make you capable of driving offroad. It's kind of like the misconception that because you bought a DII, you're suddenly able to keep the vehicle running like the character in "The Gods Must Be Crazy." It's not that simple.

So, why don't people take their shiny new Land Rovers into the wild? They fear damaging their vehicle and they, rightly so, question if they have the appropriate skills.

What can Land Rover do? Fix offroad damage for free, under warranty (NOT!!!) and provide a capable chauffeur for the excursion (SURE!!!).

Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
My point in the story is twofold. First, there's the damage issue but secondly, just because you own a Land Rover doesn't make you capable of driving offroad.
Ummm...not just off-road. Being able to start out on a hill in a manual transmission vehicle is pretty basic. Sounds like he didn't have the requisite skills for driving on public roads.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Baja

This is a great video for people who love vehicle automation, which is what I think this thread is really about.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

As Paul may remember, we have gone full circle back to the 'bots' ruling the world and the rest of us just passive bystanders.