Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Short story of stupidity

Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Short story of stupidity

So, recently I have suffered from a painful knee joint but chose to ignore it and carried on with the usual tasks and chores around the place. I'm currently renovating and installing a new kitchen. At present I've been installing an insulated plasterboard ceiling between the beams (old house), up and down and up and down on a low scaffolding maybe 20 to 30 times a day against all advice from my wife to rest my knee. So, who is stupid eh, my knee has blown up like a balloon and is extremely painful after working on the ceiling today and yesterday so much so I couldn't sleep a wink all night due to the pain hence I'm at the computer at 05.00 on a Sunday morning, this is the second night without sleep due to the bloody knee joint. Total stupidity always listen to good advice and do what you're told by the 'boss' .

Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Awe.. sorry to hear that your knee is giving you trouble Offroad. You're right though, repetitive motion will wreak havoc on your body unless you're trying to get fit It seems it's the everyday 'stubborn behavior' and mentality that gets me into trouble. Too many times I want to get something done and don't really think about the repercussions of my actions. I plow ahead, don't listen to reason and do what I want - leaving me in a sorry state further down the road.

I tend to think that I'm invincible haha.. my friend has nicknamed me 'Olga' and then lectures me on how I'm going to end up like him 20some years from now needing knee and shoulder replacements. I'm always lifting something, hauling something, loading something, etc. I know we've discussed my projects before and you know how I don't like taking 'no' for an answer (ie; ripping out doorjambs to get bookshelves and sofas into rooms, moving refrigerators, etc. ) IT WILL FIT!!!! Defeat is not a word in my dictionary My shoulder blades touching one another all night long, aching back and arms don't quite see it that way.

Your kitchen project sounds cool - what all are you doing? I think I told you that I changed out my appliances a couple of years ago with the intent on 'freshening up' the rest of the kitchen. Two years later....I'm finally getting around to it. I'm taking vacation in May and July to finally do it. New countertops, sink, tilework, painting and moving cabinets, 'expanding' the kitchen outward into the dining area, moving in an antique 10 foot farmhouse table..

The word 'quit' isn't part of my vocabulary either

Keep us posted on your recovery and projects

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Wrap with Ace Bandage, ice down periodically and take anti-inflammatory to reduce inflammation. And take a break from the ceiling job for a few days.

Good luck,

Brian.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Just getting over my second total knee replacement surgery. First one was done 2 years ago and still hurts. Second one was done about 3 months ago and is much better.

Take care of that knee. you don't want to go through a replacement. It is possible there is a medical (minor) procedure to help you out. check in with a doctor and see if they can do something. If it hurts enough to keep you awake, go see a doc.

Been there!!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

After about a week or so the swelling and excruciating pain has started to abate today. Hopefully I'll get some sleep now

Thanks for your advice and good wishes guys.

Considering this year I'll be 72 years old maybe I should be more careful. I seem to be unable to take life easy whether it is renovating the house, the D2, Pajero or even servicing the wife's Smart Car the projects just seem endless. The main problem is not being able to rely on any tradesmen turning up on time, if at all, so you don't bother with them as they also charge what they feel like to make up their weekly pay cheque.

C'est la vie, onwards and upwards eh