Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

transmission fail safe program

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fail safe program

i have a question i have a 2004 range rover hse and the trans fail safe program code pop out and i heard a lil bump like if some one hit me and the rev of the engine just droped i turned off the car and then turned it back on and it started to work fine until yesterday my wife took it for a ride it happened again can some one help me please is my transmission done with

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, down size your print if you want to continue to use this form, second, take your tranny to a good tranny shop that can plug in and read your codes, do not take it to a dealer.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Overlanding
Default Trans Failsafe program

What ever came of this? I am having the same problem. Transfer Case Neutral message going off like crazy and then RR locks into 3rd gear (Trans Failsafe Program).

Anyone have a clue of what causes this?

Read the OBDII codes and got:
1) Transmission Control Module Problem
2) Transmission Speed Sensor Problem

Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet the torque converter bit the dust and killed everything else as it let loose the guts.

speed sensors are apart of the transmission and separate parts.

or you could spend an hour diagnosis at the dealer to make sure it is a transmission.

the right diagnosis is better then the wrong diag by a transmission shop that doesn't know the vehicle. At least looking at the codes and diagnosing them from there will give you an idea of what you want to do with the vehicle.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
5th Gear

well i took it to my friends rover shop in la mirada ca "called OC ROVERS" and jerry put it on the computer and it was the transmission sensor transfer case its out side of the transmission my warrantee didnt cover it so i had to pay out of pocket about 900 bucks for the part and 500 for labor the problem is gone.
Originally Posted by ColeRover
What ever came of this? I am having the same problem. Transfer Case Neutral message going off like crazy and then RR locks into 3rd gear (Trans Failsafe Program).

Anyone have a clue of what causes this?

Read the OBDII codes and got:
1) Transmission Control Module Problem
2) Transmission Speed Sensor Problem

Old 11-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Overlanding

In case it helps anyone else...

My RR was telling me the transfer case was in neutral every 3-5 seconds (with a very annoying ding) and would go into "Transmission Fail Safe Mode" (lock itself in 3rd gear) almost every time I drove it. Along with that the low range/high range indicator light would flash and the service engine soon light would come on intermittently.

It turned out to be the transfer case stepper motor (motor that changes the gear range in the transfer case). I found someone who could rebuild it with parts from a spare he had and it solved all the problems. List of problems caused by the shifting motor below:

Problem #1: Made the transfer case control module believe the trans case was in neutral and would not shift to low range.
Problem #2: Made the transmission control module not be able to control clutch packs or timing of shifts to transmission would lock into safe mode (3rd gear).
Problem #3: Because shift timing was disrupted the injection timing was disrupted (In BMW drive-trains the injectors shut off for a millisecond when the transmission shifts, if that millisecond is at the wrong moment it will cause a "misfire" situation) and caused a misfire situation which threw the check engine soon codes.

Hope this helps if someone else has the same problem. It cost me $735 (no tax) to get the motor rebuilt. I would normally think a service like this would be more like $300-$500 but considering a new motor (cheapest I could find) is $1400, I didn't think the cost was too bad. Next time I talk to the guy I will find out what he had to replace internally in the motor to make it operate properly and post it here.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 AM
4th Gear
Default Trans Neutral '04 Range Rover MKIII

I am having the EXACT same symptoms. It's like I could have written the exact words that you did. Do you have that information on the guy who rebuilt the motor for you?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 AM
4th Gear

2004 RR MK III - i recently had the front differential service action recall work completed on this vehicle. The "trans neutral" problem disappeared for about one month afterwards, so I thought the problem was solved. But low and behold, the "trans neutral" mess is back with a vengeance!! Does anyone think the problem is somehow related to the front differential issues?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Overlanding
Default Transfer Case Shift Motor Rebuild

ddetermined,

I doubt the front differential service has anything to do with your "trans neutral" problem. I don't know of any electrical/programming links between the two. More than likely it is a problem with your transmission or transfer case.

The shop that rebuilt my shift motor was Karns Motor Company in Knoxville, TN. They are a "certified" Land Rover service shop and are pretty stand up guys. Phone number is (eight,six,five)-691-3352. Ask for Brian.

**I actually had to take it back to KMC because the problem started again. Their mechanic took it apart and found that a connection he had soldered had broken apart. He soldered it back together and said that he got it stuck together better this time but there was still a possibility it would break apart and if it did he could not do it again and I would have to replace the motor because the media would be too weak to reweld. I'm currently looking for a replacement motor without the $1,500 price tag to keep as a spare.

I've been trying to find an exploded view of the inner workings of this shift motor so I can possibly see what is needed to rebuild it. If anyone has one please PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Overlanding
Default I hate this piece of $hit

Originally Posted by ColeRover
ddetermined,

I doubt the front differential service has anything to do with your "trans neutral" problem. I don't know of any electrical/programming links between the two. More than likely it is a problem with your transmission or transfer case.

The shop that rebuilt my shift motor was Karns Motor Company in Knoxville, TN. They are a "certified" Land Rover service shop and are pretty stand up guys. Phone number is (eight,six,five)-691-3352. Ask for Brian.

**I actually had to take it back to KMC because the problem started again. Their mechanic took it apart and found that a connection he had soldered had broken apart. He soldered it back together and said that he got it stuck together better this time but there was still a possibility it would break apart and if it did he could not do it again and I would have to replace the motor because the media would be too weak to reweld. I'm currently looking for a replacement motor without the $1,500 price tag to keep as a spare.

I've been trying to find an exploded view of the inner workings of this shift motor so I can possibly see what is needed to rebuild it. If anyone has one please PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Well folks, I'm down again. The shift motor gave up the ghost and I haven't been able to find a replacement for a reasonable price. I hate to spend any more money on this boat anchor because since I last posted I've:

1) Replace a water pump and serpentine belt
2) Replaced coolant hoses on front and rear of engine (separate occasions)
3) Replaced a leaking radiator
4) Replaced an air strut on front drivers side (blown bag)
5) Replaced rotors and pads up front (rotors beyond warped)

If it would stop beeping for a day or so I'd go trade it in for a Subaru.

The British should have stuck to something they are good at like...well...umm...

Quick Reply: transmission fail safe program