Other All other Land Rover vehicles.

Series III Clutch piston??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series III Clutch piston??

Hi guys,

I just bought a 1979 series III RHD 88 diesel Rover. I just got it running tonight with a little luck and bleeding of the fuel lines. However the Hydraulic clutch is giving me problems. I've bled the line running from the reservoir to the piston on the tranny. I push the pedal with some force and its met with some resistance, however the clutch doesn't engage. I can feel the gears with the stick and I know the clutch isn't engaging.

Any suggestions or pointers on how to trouble shoot/ fix the piston for the clutch?

I'm new to series rovers.

I found out that once you engage her in reverse "with or without" the clutch, She will go no matter what.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Not sure the layout on those but you should be able to see if it is actuating the clutch fork either from the outside of the tranny or from the inspection port. This will obviously be a two person operation unless you are flexible like gumby.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
3rd Gear

did you figure it out yet? when was it run last? sounds to me like the clutch is rusted to the fly wheel so you cant disengage the transmission. Sometime if you start it in gear and just drive it around it will become unstuck. But you need a big pasture to drive it around in. Maybe some one on here can send me in the right direction. I have a series IIA That I have owned for ever 1970 88" a got it out of the factory and took it to Africa central America and up to Alaska. It hasn't run for 15 years and I want to start to get her going again. two questions. is this the best forum to talk to people with series rovers or is there one just for us series people somewhere? the other question is where are you finding your parts? Thanks let me know how you fixed your problems. I will have the same problems.

Last edited by wjkrostek; 02-16-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Three Wheeling

According to the last owner he had it running and driving about 5 years ago "I'm not so sure about that". I wound up swapping out both clutch pistons. I still cant free up the clutch on the series 3. I'm actually working on my Series 2A for the winter.

I'm not sure of a better website for series, but I'm sure you can find a more active one.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 95RoverLWB
According to the last owner he had it running and driving about 5 years ago "I'm not so sure about that". I wound up swapping out both clutch pistons. I still cant free up the clutch on the series 3. I'm actually working on my Series 2A for the winter.

I'm not sure of a better website for series, but I'm sure you can find a more active one.
If it runs and you have room to drive it around in a field. Start it in 1st gear and drive the **** out of it and it may break loose. I have done this before and it works. Other wise you need to pull the tranny and try what you can to break it loose. let me know how it works or what you have do to break it loose. So I don't have to try every thing my self. It may not be easy and I'm sure something will break if you can't drive it loose. I would think there would be more people speaking up here. I can't be the only one that has had this problem before. Good luck to you. where are you getting your parts. I'm in Alaska and parts will be a big problem for me I'm sure. I've been here 30 years and I've only seen a hand full of the old series up here. years ago I got everything from Atlantic British parts. wish I could find there old catalog.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

I've been getting parts from a good company over here in the north east "Rovers North". Atlantic British is also a good supplier of rover parts. I believe Atlantic British partnered up with another company located on the west coast.... a "British Pacific". Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

I don't see any reason why parts cant be shipped?

Thanks for the advice with the series.