General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

I just got a 1991 Range Rover from my uncle, around spring break I am going to try to get it running.

It's in kentucky, I am in iowa. This may be an issue as it does not run.

Here is all that I know.

Was driven to where it is now, then it stopped running. It then sat for years, then someone tried to start it using something that was described as "blowing fuel into the engine" and it did not start. The RR has 250,000 miles on it.

I was wondering what do you think could be wrong with it, I am obviously going to change the belts and fluids before attempting to start it up. Are the belts for this car available generally? Or would I need to get them before hand?

I work on I4 engines, so I'm gonna need help on this one guys.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be your EFI computer or the coil pack.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
8th Gear

How would I test the EFI?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well we are going to need more information than that to help diagnose. First off, if the fluids are topped up then try to start it, make sure you have a strong battery though. You will want to listen to things such as fuel pump, see if you have fuel pressure, check for spark from the coil to the cap. If you have fuel, and spark then we can move onto other things but that should be a good start.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 AM
4th Gear

If it sat for years I wouldn't have even tried starting it without replacing all the fluids first. If possible even the fuel. Any oil in the engine that has been sitting is now broken down and begining to harden. This will cause clogs in other areas. Then pull a plug check for spark, check for fuel pressure. If those are ok and still not starting do a compression check, even tough the compression could be bad though it should still show signs of starting.

With 250,000 it is time for an engine overhaul.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landrover13
If it sat for years I wouldn't have even tried starting it without replacing all the fluids first. If possible even the fuel. Any oil in the engine that has been sitting is now broken down and begining to harden. This will cause clogs in other areas. Then pull a plug check for spark, check for fuel pressure. If those are ok and still not starting do a compression check, even tough the compression could be bad though it should still show signs of starting.

With 250,000 it is time for an engine overhaul.
For only a year the oil will not be so affected to not be able to start nor will it cause any major problems if you are not going to run it for an extended period of time. By all means replace it, I just do not feel it has to be done before you start working on it, just my opinion though.

At 250K it does have some serious mileage and since it has been sitting it will probably develop other issues once it starts working again, mainly maintenance stuff though.

Fuel and spark and then we will know more about what is going on.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM
5th Gear
Default Need Help

Can anyone please help me.......... the battery in my 442 has all but died and I don't know where to get a replacement. I am from Canada and they don't sell the type of battery the 442 uses here, where can I order this?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling

442?? Isn't that an Oldsmobile?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone please help me.......... the battery in my 442 has all but died and I don't know where to get a replacement. I am from Canada and they don't sell the type of battery the 442 uses here, where can I order this?
Just go to an auto parts store and ask for help. They will have the battery you need, and will help you install it.

I would suspect your coil pack is most likely the culprit. EFI is only a possibility. You said it is getting fuel, yes? If it is and you are not getting spark, your coil pack is shot. OR its coil pack sensor, which is replaced when you replace the coil pack.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Where in Iowa are you from?

Quick Reply: Need Help