General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04' Range Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' Range Rover?

Hey everyone, I am new to this site so bear with me. I have always liked Range Rovers and last year I had the opportunity to purchase a pretty clean 04' Range with only 47,000 miles. Since my purchase, I have had the steering angle ECU, CD changer and stereo/navigation head unit changed. The steering ECU caused the vehicle's rt side to sag lower than the left when operating at normal ride height so the dealership changed it and the stereo's cassette player did not operate when I purchased the vehicle as well as the CD changer but I found those problems after the purchase. Besides this, the car works well.

My concern I want to pose to everyone is that my vehicle is in the shop currently for the radiator leaking fluid from a top seam and will need replacing along with the valve cover gaskets leaking oil. I only have 53,000 miles on the car and I need a new radiator and valve cover gaskets? This is suppose to be a higher/end vehicle correct? So whay am Ihaving these problems early. Comments... Thanks....

Old 06-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rovers are high maitenance. Just cause its high end doesn't mean its not going to have its share of... quirks and stupid garbage that breaks. I would imagine these repairs are not cheap especially being at a dealership. You might want to consider taking it to a local Rover shop and have them give you a second opinion before the dealership rapes you. Your valve cover gasket leak could have been repaired by just tightening the bolts on the covers. This vehicle might have been off road a lot considering the kind of things needing to be replaced.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the comments LRScott. I enjoy my vehicle and it has to be one of the best purchases I have ever been involved with so I can say that I will always have a Range Rover in the fleet from this moment forth.

Any other comments.....

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Mudding

Land Rovers are great trucks, expect many more expensive repairs in the future..... If you can find a good trustworthy local shop take it their.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You inherited all the problems that would have been caught while under warrantee. Although a steering wheel sensor wont cause the vehicle to sit funny. A height sensor will.
It will get expensive, best bet to minimize some major issues is to change the oil more often. Cut it down to 7k instead of 15k. Your pcv system will thank you for it.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
You inherited all the problems that would have been caught while under warrantee. Although a steering wheel sensor wont cause the vehicle to sit funny. A height sensor will.
It will get expensive, best bet to minimize some major issues is to change the oil more often. Cut it down to 7k instead of 15k. Your pcv system will thank you for it.
Ha!!! Too funny. I take my Range Rover to the dealership for repairs and I understand that not just anyone can work on these vehicles. Thanks for seconding my thought. I will keep in mind about the oil changes and I will have them check the height sensors out.

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

IF YOU DON'T MIND THE GAS GUZZLING, FILLING UP EVERY 200 MILES AND SOMETHING BREAKING EVERY OTHER WEEK, THEN GO FOR IT.
Dogpedic

Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF YOU DON'T MIND THE GAS GUZZLING, FILLING UP EVERY 200 MILES AND SOMETHING BREAKING EVERY OTHER WEEK, THEN GO FOR IT.
Uhh ohh... Someone got a bad rover and is crying about it lol.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 AM
8th Gear

Ha!!! They may drink gas and break down but they are in my opinion, one of the best vehicles on the road. I am new to the Range Rover family but I think I will keep one around for the rest of my life.