General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 RR HSE... How can I tell if my brake pad monitors are working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 RR HSE... How can I tell if my brake pad monitors are working?

Hello,
I recently bought my 06 fullsize Rover and it came with aftermarket wheels and tires installed. So I know that my tire pressure monitoring system is disconnected because I get that fault upon start up and constant illuminated warning light on the display.

However, I have no idea if my brake pad monitoring system is functioning properly. I have not gotten any messages or faults to indicate that it is not. Upon purchase, I was informed that I had about 50% front/50% rear pad life remaining. Of course, I took that to be the truth but without an independent check, or having the knowledge to check on my own, I don't know that for a fact. I keep getting a squeal in my brakes during the final few feet of coming to a complete stop. I know that is not necessarily indicative of pads needing replacement, but the last thing I want is to get down to the rotors...

Additionally, if there are any simple tricks or rules of thumb when visually checking the remaining life of the pads, I would love to be enlightened. My rims have openings that allow me to see the calipers and probably the pads as well. Just wondering what I should be looking for.

Thank you for your time and help on this. Have a good week.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pads will look like the image above.The left pads are new the right pads are old. The old pads in this picture have about 30% of their life remaining though. The pad sensors will only come on when the pads are very close to being done (about 5 to 10%). And there really is no way to test the sensors. Basically what will happen, is the pads will wear through and hit the sensor. The sensor will then tell you its time. If the sensor is activated, it too will need to be replaced along with the pad.

Attached Thumbnails 06 RR HSE... How can I tell if my brake pad monitors are working?-padsoldvnew.jpg  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for clarifying this. Makes sense. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my pads now. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and post this pic.
Cheers!