General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 4.0 Rover Trailer wiring harness

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 4.0 Rover Trailer wiring harness

My Rover has a tow receiver, but no wiring harness. Anyone know if installing a trailer wiring harness is simple on a 96 Rover? Ive looked around and the harness is really expensive and was wondering if anyone knew of other places to buy?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very simple. I had the exact same situation as you - 96 4.0 SE with the hitch but no wiring. I bought the kit from Atlantic British just for the sake of simplicity. I could have wired it up myself a little bit cheaper but I have more money than time these days (not necessarily a good thing) so I went that route.

It probably took me 20 minutes max. The kit comes with everything for plug and play. Access the panel on the right rear side of the hatch and you should have a plug all ready to go. The difficult part was feeding the flat 4 pin connector through the existing access hole in the bottom of that little compartment, the connector is too wide. I shaved a little plastic off and with some grunting I got it through. Pull the wire through and then put the box in the compartment, plug it in.

The kit comes with little zip ties to secure the wires to the underbody. I threw them out in favor of heavy duty cable ties. Be careful not to run the wires too close to the muffler, which is right underneath the wire hole. I ran the wires up over the bumper mount and tied them off every 6 to 8 inches.

The kit comes with directions that are easy to follow. I highly recommend this route. Let me know if you have any questions once you get into it.