General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 P38 Alarm Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1998 P38 Alarm Issues!

Hi all

Is there anyway to disconnect the immobiliser and or the alarm??

I suspect my P38 has multiple alarm issues.

I bought it with most of them (one key is not 'coded' to the car and central locking does not work) and use the key to operate it. I have to leave it unlocked at work and yesterday I noticed the rear lights had come on. I locked and unlocked the car and they went off.

Today I went to start it and nothing happens.

I'll check other possible causes tomorrow but I strongly suspect the alarm system has decided to leave the immobiliser on!

Is it safe to try to jump start it to test the battery?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can jump start it if you want. If it is having an alarm system issue, it will say so in the instrument display.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Overlanding
Default Thanks!

I have had the alarm error in the display every time I start it since I purchased it and it has continuted to start ok.

I don't even know where to start sorting out the alarm issues as I don't know the whole back story.

I have one key (labeled key 1) that does not appear to be coded to the car and one (key 3) that is but does not work.

I'm just wondering if all these issues are the reason why it has now decided not to start and if there is anything I can do to overide them??

Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
Overlanding

Update!

There is a distinct 'clicking' sound coming from the fuse box under the passenger seat when turning the key to the start position.

I have checked the fuses, any other ideas??

Really appreciate any help here!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Overlanding
Default Could be it?

This is my exact issue found on Rangerovers.net..

"The only error message I get is when I set the alarm and try to turn it over: "Engine disabled use remote". The Engine light comes on and goes off before I try to start it. The remote will unlock and lock the doors, except the passenger side front door and arm/disarm the alarm. I have tried the generic EKA procedure #1515 with no avail. When turning the lock, the side lights will blink so I think it is recognizing the input although the lock seems to be a little loose. We have tried unhooking battery and hooking back up with key in #2 position as well. Fuses and relays seem to be fine. We have replaced the remote batteries and made sure the vehicle battery is fully charged as well. When we turn the key, there is a click noise from the controller under the passenger side seat and that is about it. I feel it is in the alarm system but am having absolutely no luck!"

A week later Brian wrote back in with the following news: "We took the fusebox apart and repaired it from the info you provided and it worked! We found all kinds of solder joints that needed repairs and once we repaired them the Rangie started up and runs excellent. I was very grateful that it was not the BECM!"

Looks like I might need a new fuse box

Will keep you posted!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, not to be the worst case scenario person, but the BECM is located under the passenger seat... and if the clicking noise is coming from there...Might want to look into it.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Overlanding

Yes it could be that too, but I don't have any other ideas for diagnosing the problem on my own, do you??

The thing is that the dealer here wil almost certianly want to just bung another BECM into it for a few thousand dollars.... something I don't want to do if it is not the problem!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Pro Wrench

There are several people that will take your becm and reprogram a new one with your prior settings and codes on ebay for less than $400 with great feedback. the reason the dealer is charging so much is because its brand new out of the box.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by LRScott
There are several people that will take your becm and reprogram a new one with your prior settings and codes on ebay for less than $400 with great feedback. the reason the dealer is charging so much is because its brand new out of the box.
Oh thanks! That might be handy to know in an emergency. Getting it out and back into the country would be interesting though! (I'm in Russia)