General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 P38 Purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 P38 Purchasing advice

Does the 2000 P38 have more mechanical issues than the 2001 and 2002? I know that in 2001 the P38 recieved a dual exhaust to increase torque but does this 2000 model have a decent reliabily?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All P38s are pretty sound. The 2000 is a Bosch model with the bosch engine management system. You can check edmunds for the owner reviews, but you will find that they are mixed. Make sure regular service has been done on it, otherwise expect a few problems to arise. I would also check to see if the head gaskets have been done, as they usually go around 100k miles. I would also like to point out, these aren't vehicles to skimp on. They need to be maintained very well, and you should expect a few minor annoying things to happen from time to time. Otherwise, the power train on these rigs is very solid and reliable. Good luck and hope to see you around the forums.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most issues on these vehicles come from people not paying for the epxensive things to fix and just ignoring them. That will include the possible failure or issues with the air suspension, head gaskets and so forth. The key to them is maintenence and a lot of it when it is time for it. There will always be some sort of electrical problem that will pop up and confound you, many times it is related to a weak or failing battery or possibly the alternator. This and other forums have very well documented repair and common issues so you should be able to figure it out quickly and inexpensively if you use the forums for their knowledge.

Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Will a non-EAS truck deminish the ride quality?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Will a non-EAS truck deminish the ride quality?
Yes lol. Its not bad, just feels like a normal truck. However, with EAS its very smooth and rides very nice. It is a high maintenance system though...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Drifting

LR Scott, what are some if the issues that you have experienced with maintaining your EAS?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Pro Wrench

I don't have any experience with the EAS. It just seems like a high maintenance system, based on posts I've read, mechanics I've talked to, prices of the parts, etc.. Thats my own personal opinion, if someone wants to correct me they can. Even though I wish mine had EAS for the ride, its also one less thing I have to worry about.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Mine doesn't have the EAS either and it rides very nice and smooth. I have thought about using the air compressor and the air tank to hook up some type of hose to inflate tires/pool toys etc. It seems it would be a pretty simple mod and kind of cool too.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have EAS and have had issues with mine so at least I can comment. If you get rid of the EAS you will get rid of part of the sole of the vehicle.

The issues are going to revolve around a leak in the system or a bag. This will cause the compressor to tun longer thanit should and then can burn out the compressor or the car will go into an EAS fault mode and will drop to the bumpstops until the system is reset. I had a slow leak once that happened while on a trip and I had to drive about 150 miles on the bumpstops to get home, it was not comfortable at all. There is a program out there that you can reset the system with yourself from home so you do not need a trip to the dealer but you need to find the problem. The valve block can go as well and usually needs rebuilding, alot of o rings and time is needed to fix that one, however it is fixable. Many people who go to the dealer will look at how much they will be charged for the fix and then decide to go to coils so they never have to worry about it again. It is a valid point if you cannot fix it yourself since the dealer will rape you to get it done.

The bags are easy to replace and can be done in your garage in under an hour. If the EAS works and the bags inflate quickly then the system is probably good. Do not run it through the process a bunch of times becasue it will slow down since there will be less air in the tank.

EAS is great and if you can get one thatworks then it is the best ride and option.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the insight Rob. I can't call another man handsome.

Quick Reply: 2000 P38 Purchasing advice