General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 RR engine noise???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RR engine noise???

Okay, so i know it's getting cold in the Idaho area, my RR is having problems it seems. As i accelerate from a stopped position, for the first 2 gears it seems, there is a whine from the engine area. kinda like a wolf howling. Does anyone or has anyone heard this or had a prob with it? I would appreciate your feedback on this. It goes out after about 5 seconds. but it does it anytime i have to accelerate, or step on the gas.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is so hard to say, maileage of the vehicle would help as well.

It may be the belt slipping and then as it warms up it grabs.

Does it only do it in drive or does it do it when you rev the engine when in park? Could be the oil in the transfer case that is cold who knows, I think you need to investigate the source a little more so we can help.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL NAMPA!!!! I'm in Meridian! I would think it is your differential that is howling, it is a fairly common problem/occurrence.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool, more Idaho guys.

Would the diff stop making noise right away? I have never had one go but I would have thought it would keep making noise as you kept driving it.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Are you in Idaho too rob? I haven't seen the differential problem plague the GEMs p38s, only the Bosch for whatever reason. Sometimes they only make the noise at specific speeds or under specific conditions... its just a weird problem. Some owners have gone over 100k miles with the noise and have yet to have a real issue.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I am up in Coeur d'Alene.

I had not heard of the diff issue before so I have no help there. I have had Power steering pumps make noise when cold and the belts sometimes but that is about it. I have also only ever owned GEMS motors so I am not much help on the BOSCH, although I have owned a few BMW's so they cannot be that different.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well?!?!?!

Okay , I thank you all for responding to my thread. And a Huge WOOOT!! to all the Gems in the Forums! LOL!! We should have lunch. Anywho, Get back from Lyle Pearson, and 300.00 bones later. My Water pump bearing is loose and going out. Along with the front crankshaft oil seal leaking and on and on. Well Lyle Pearson strategy could cost me a couple grand more. Of course on top of that, i ask them to do a oil & all around filter change. So they right on the invoice, Needs new engine air filter and cabin air filter. (ISN'T THAT WHAT I TOLD YOU TO FIX!!) frustrating. wish there were an independent near by. would save soo much money. Still didn't figure out what the howling was. Guess i have a Wolfenstein version of the RR huh? !! LMAO!!

Cheers!!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So they couldnt tell what the noise was?

If you can turn the wrench then replace the water pump yourself and do all the rest of the service too. The problem with dealers is that they want to fix everything before they really get to the problem, in case it may have some affect on the real issue.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro Wrench

I take mine to Greg's Autohaus. They aren't much cheaper than LP though. Most of the work that is done on my rover, is by me.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Pro Wrench

Hey rhino, did I see you on the road today? I saw the same p38 over and over these past few days that seemed to be going to and from the nampa area. Don't know if it was you, I turned my lights on after leaving a neighborhood, and saw the p38 for the 4th time on Chinden.

Quick Reply: 2000 RR engine noise???