General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 RR engine noise???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey LRScott,

I do go back and forth on the 84 in the evenings on Tues, and Thurs. from Nampa. But as far as being down on Chinden, that's not me. I don't think i've been down there since the boise hawks game in 07. I think i've seen you around though. Not many black RR's here in that year. Well i'm going to the Lyle Pearson Birds of Prey Expedition here on the 24th. They have some people leading the thing from the Camel Trophy and Stuff. Leading the way in a Series II. Gonna be fun i think.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to stay current on LP's events. I did not know they were doing a birds of prey event. I actually have a small falcon that I use for hunting and am heavily involved in falconry. My rover is dark green, (I really should post it). Many think it is black when they see it in person, until I have them look at it in the right lighting. In general I do not see a lot of P38s, I do see a lot of discos though. At the moment I do not have the grill guard on it as seen in my avatar (distinctive feature, the right side view mirror is missing DONT ASK).

Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Drifting
Default here we go again!!

So i get my RR back from LP. They tell me my water pump bearing is about to go, cause you can pull the wheel on it back and forth about 2mm. And the front Crankshaft seal needs replaced. And i still have the howling like a wolf sound when i accelerate. I'm going nuts trying to figure this one out. Just put in a new air filter, had all fluid topped. Stumped?????!! I am thinking it may have something to do with the crankshaft seal, and i hope it's not, cause that means it's rubbing on the main part of the engine, and probably chewing it up. Any other suggestions would be nice. it has 102,000 miles on it now. Please help. Shop knows sh*t!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling

I don't think the sound has anything to do with the crank seal and if it does you are in serious trouble. I once had a car that made a high pitched noise when I reved the engine and it turned out to be a small crack in the air intake duct work. I would go and inspect all of the tubing on the intake side of the engine including the air box. Have somebody rev it up while you listen under the hood. Do you have an automotive stethoscope? You can get one for about $10 and they are priceless when it comes to diagnosing engine noise. You use it to isolate the noise to only what the stethoscope touches. Get one and try out things like your alternator to see where the noise is coming from.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench

You can try putting it on some jack stands and have some one accelerate it. So you can just look around for the noise. Make sure the rover isn't pointed at something you don't want it to hit, incase it falls off. And, BE CAREFUL! You can also take off the accessory belt off and spin the alternator, water pump, power steering and etc. If there is any binding or grinding noises, something is not right, they should all move freely, except the oil pump.

I called the dealership to rsvp for the event, they asked if there were any issues with the vehicle. I told them the only thing that might have an issue is the front brake rotors, as they are pretty worn. They told me I should have it inspected with an oil change, for a bargain price of $69.95. I felt a little insulted... the rotors raise a yellow flag, but are fine. Kind of angers me they weren't willing to just look at it real quick while I got the spark plugs.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Drifting

So are you going to the Birds of Prey event? Would be cool. Sounds like something typical Lyle Pearson would pull. They didn't ask me if i had any issues. Maybe cause i know almost everyone there. That's the bad part. The Only issue i have is specified in this thread, other than that, My Baby has a black eye. But that will soon be fixed.

It only does the whining when it's cool. Or has sat overnight, but if I let it warm up (i've noticed) it does just fine. Usually about 5 min. warm up.

I think also because it's getting cold, i think i'm gonna buy that Manual Air Recovery System from Carroll Rovers.com. I have a friend in Havre, MT that has one and he said it's been a lifesaver in the winter when the EAS wants to act up. I don't want to go coil, cause i love the EAS. Anywho!! Cheers!!

Last edited by Rhino1; 10-22-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havre, MT? I am headed there in a couple of weeks to see a client, there are not many clients or people there to begin with.

I had a power steering pump that would howl a little when it was cold for about 3 minutes, then it was fine. If I kept it in the garage overnight it would usually not do it.

Since I do not know what Birds of Prey is, what is it?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Pro Wrench

So are you going to the Birds of Prey event? Would be cool. Sounds like something typical Lyle Pearson would pull. They didn't ask me if i had any issues. Maybe cause i know almost everyone there. That's the bad part. The Only issue i have is specified in this thread, other than that, My Baby has a black eye. But that will soon be fixed.
I really want to go, but I also don't want to be stuck out in the middle of no where if you know what i mean . I did an induction cleaning last night, and changed the spark plugs this morning (WOW WERE THEY DIRTY!). The two nagging things that are keeping my mind restless about the trip are; it leaked coolant somewhere about 3 months ago, and kinda leaks a drip or two from time to time... and I messed up again on the brake bleed proceedure, so I need to do that again before I feel comfortable going. If I can get the brake bleeding squared away, and make sure one of the freeze plugs isn't dislodged slightly (possibly the cause of minor leaking, and the last thing I need is for one to pop out on the trail.) then I will probably go. I feel bad because I have the last spot reserved and I don't even know if I'm going for sure lol.

Here are the event details. It looks like fun, but I think I'll join AAA before I go LOL! http://www.box.net/shared/cscmj7qs61

Last edited by LRScott; 10-22-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Havre, MT? I am headed there in a couple of weeks to see a client, there are not many clients or people there to begin with.

I had a power steering pump that would howl a little when it was cold for about 3 minutes, then it was fine. If I kept it in the garage overnight it would usually not do it.

Since I do not know what Birds of Prey is, what is it?
Yeah, I grew up there in Havre, MT. Not born and raised, but damn close enough. I know the Bear Paws mountians like the back of my hand. Course haven't been there in ohh..10 years now. Used to live out a Kremlin,MT too. Anywho. I don't know what the howling is, just driving me nuts. Need to make room in my garage for my beast. Wife has dibs with the freelander garaged first. I know, I know. I gave in. LOL

Anyway, Hope you can go LRScott. And yes i would get AAA first. LOL!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Pro Wrench

I hope someone at the meet has a gps.... so I can give the coordinates to the tow truck if i have too! lol

Quick Reply: 2000 RR engine noise???