General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 HSE Radio does not ask for code.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 HSE Radio does not ask for code.

As the subject states. I have a 2001 HSE and the radio does not prompt for a code. I know there are numerous posts regarding Radio and codes, but here is the twist. My Radio works perfectly fine. I have three radios (Long Story) and they all work the same - they never prompt me for a code and they work great. Why is that? Is this a sign of problems on the horizon? I have pulled fuse #1, even disconnected the battery.

Just a little background so that someone could possibly shed some light:
I purchased the vehicle in December. It came with the Radio and Amplifier, but the Subwoofer, CD Changer, Nav screen and Nav Reader were not included with the vehicle. The radio would turn on (did not prompt for code), show the station etc. but obviously I did not get any sound. I spent the next couple of weeks searching for the missing items. Did not find anything the first couple of weeks and then I found a Radio, Amp and Subwoofer from a 2001 HSE for $100, popped everything in, still no sound (turns out that both Amplifiers were bad, my existing one and the new one - though I did not know that at the time).

The next week I struck gold. I found a package from another 2001 HSE consisting of the Radio, Entire Navigation system (Screen, Computer and Map CD), CD changer, Subwoofer and Amplifier for the grand sum of $400. I installed everything including the Amplifier and - Music, Sweet Music; but the radio did not prompt me for a code. I then tried the other 2 radios. Same thing. The radios turn right on and play without a problem.

Everything else on the truck works great, no abnormalities. No electrical issues, No mechanical issues.

I currently own a Discovery and had a LWB before that, so I know how these radios are with codes.

What would be causing my dilemma (if it can be called such). I guess my biggest worry is that something could be going wrong with my BeCM.
I know this is not normal. I am not necessarily eager to have the radio prompt for the codes because I don't even have the code for one of the radios. I would just like to know what is going on.

Does anyone know of an independent on Long Island , NY that could scan the system?
Thanks in advance for your responses. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be that the codes have been bypassed. A radio is essentially a computer with simplified microchips and it is entirely possible that the sequence was just removed for convenience. I seriously doubt that this is a sign of a BECM failure. The radio is its own independent unit. The BECM does have a partial role in its operation, but the radio is in charge of the code, producing music, managing the discs, etc. I honestly think that if everything is working fine and its not asking you for a code, you should not worry about it at all and just enjoy it . If an unusual problem does develop with the radio, be sure to post about it. Your lucky, right now my radio doesn't work, all I get to listen to is the transmission whine and the sound of the HVAC fans .

Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for your response, explanation and reassurance LRscott. It does set my mind at ease.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RTFM. After about '99 they didn't come with codes from the factory. IIRC, if you wanted it activated, it was able to be done by the owner.

• Radio security code number: Your vehicle
is delivered with the security code
disabled. If you wish to have it actuated
see your Land Rover dealer.

Last edited by ptschram; 02-07-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RTFM. After about '99 they didn't come with codes from the factory. IIRC, if you wanted it activated, it was able to be done by the owner.
I guess that they finally realized how asinine it was.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ptschram

• Radio security code number: Your vehicle
is delivered with the security code
disabled. If you wish to have it actuated
see your Land Rover dealer.
Thanks ptschram. I read the F****** manual. What you quoted was the first 4 lines from the manual. It then goes on with another half page of warnings about entering the security code.
In addition I have the security card with code and the booklet with detailed information on how to enter the security Code.

Since (1) I was not the original owner and the radio wasn't functional when purchased (2) My other 2 Rovers always prompt/ed for a security code when power is lost (3) I have a card with imprinted radio code, and (4) if you do a search on Google or here in the forums, what you find are issues with not being able to enter a code as opposed to the p38 not necessarily needing a code. Surely you can understand my angst and confusion.

Thanks for your response and setting me straight.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 AM
8th Gear

Allow me to add my voice right here am looking for a radio my got faulty from washing bay it is of P38a make 1998 if anybody have please need to now the $$$$$$$ cost

Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Drifting
Default HSE Nav system

dnssandbox, how do you like the HSE nav system? I am looking at 03/04 discos and am wondering if is worth getting the HSE over the SE. Any opinions you want to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
4wd Low

Pennohawk:
The short answer is: I use a Garmin Nuvi 680 for routing.

Long Answer: The only reason I went through the trouble of hunting down the NAV system was for Aesthetics - Plus, the price was right.

There are too many "twists and turns" (literally.. A **** is used) to enter an address or just get to the Navigation screen.

The graphics on the screen is terribly (It looks 20th rather than 21st century. although I suppose back then it may have been acceptable).

The transition of the screens from one to the next is not fluid. You get to the end of one screen. It refreshes with you at the bottom. You drive to the top it refreshes and repeats.

The maps are overpriced and outdated. I am not sure if the 03/04 uses the same maps, but the newest maps for my system is 2007.

The only good thing about the navigation system I think is that it completes the dash - making it look nice and finished.

I often just keep the NAV at the logo screen.

personally I would get the NAV assuming it does not impact the price too much. My opinion is the dash looks very very good with the NAV installed.... that is until you turn it on to the map screen.

Best of luck with your search.

==========

Mansoor :
Sorry my Radios only fit model years 1999.5 to 2002.

Last edited by dnssandbox; 02-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.