General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 4.6 P38 Brush Bars are they really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 4.6 P38 Brush Bars are they really worth it?

I had asked weeks ago about running boards and the consensus was that the EAS should take care of my needs as long as it is not abused. Now someone has brought to my attention about the front brush bars. Are they really worth the money and do they actually protect the vehicle in a minor accident? Bottom line. Should I invest in one? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost some MPG's when I put them on my old Disco. They look nice but don’t do too much other than for looks. I heard that some of them can interfere with the airbags should you get into an accident, not sure if this is true but it seems possible to me.
I bought mine at Atlantic British when I had my Disco. I have decided against putting them on my Range Rover.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Rock Crawling

I took mine off about 6 months ago because I didn't like the look of it. It is in decent condition. I also have the horizontal guards that attach to the brush guard to protect the headlights. I see you are in NC. Make me an offer. I'm tired of looking at it in my garage.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Excellent feed back! Thanks guys! I see many viewers have tuned into this "thread." Hope it helped them make their decision of whether or not to buy guards for their RR.

I have decided since the looks of my RR look just fine without the added guards I will keep it simple and let it be. Why risk bringing my MPG to an all time low when its pretty low to begin with. lol or impeding on the air bag system resulting in possible harm to the family.
Wilson, thanks for your offer but I'm going to have to pass this time. FYI, I have a place in Stanley County, but am currently in NJ until Christmas!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't notice a difference in fuel economy with mine on or off. My rover has always had a grill guard since it was new and since its kind of a "piece" of its existence, I won't part with it. I've taken it off and reconditioned it. While it was off the rover seemed smaller. Personally, the rover looks great with or without it. I like the grill guard on it because it allows me to "feel" my way around. I can get very close to things and know when its been "touched". Since the guard is padded, no harm is done . As for safety, It won't interfere with the airbags. Reason being, on the P38 its attached to the bumper and the Airbag crush points will still engage with our without it. I sure wouldn't want to be rear ended by one with a grill guard, thats for sure...

Old 09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have used brush guards on my Disco before and have them on both right now but I currently do not have one on my RR. On the disco it took care of a deer and only cracked the grill, since I live in an area where that could be very common I see that it can serve a great purpose. The addition of one should not affect the gas mileage at all soince it is in the front and not really changing the overall dynamics of the air movement like a rack would. I say if you like the look go for it, if not no biggie.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM
5th Gear

I personally wouldn't own an offroading Land Rover without one. Where would I mount my winch?

That being said, I seriously doubt I will ever put a guard or winch on my pavement loving RR Sport.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 4.6 P38 Brush Bars are they really worth it?-linda-disco-1.jpg