General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy issues..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy issues..?

drove my 95 p38 to the store ran fine came home then whent out to go some where and the check engine light came on went to back out of driveway truck stalled and cut off it started back up but i notice it was idling vary low for a second then after driving for a bit was fine as far as the codes i was getting that 1775 gear box code also the knock sensor code bank a,and the speed senor no signal code? at one point i was having shifting issue as if truck did not wanna go when i press the gas as if stuck in 3rd gear? but now im not having that issue and the speed sensor code comes and goes the other 2 are still there im going to try and clean the mass air flow somone said try that any ideas?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MAF sensors can cause all of the issues you listed. I would clean it and see if that makes a difference. If you can, get an obd scanner on there to read the live data from the sensors to see if on in particular is malfunctioning. Pay close attention to the maf sensor. Check for erratic readings or readings that it should not be sending based on the throttle setting.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling

cleaned it but check engine light still on however since i cleaned it i have not been having any cutting offs i will have to get the scanner on it but it appears to be driving fine? little hard shifting now and then between 2nd and 3thrd up and down

Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a 96 right? or is it the ultra rare '95 P38....

Unless you have the right OBD II reader then you will need to visit a shop with such tools which can measure live data and not just snapshots.

As for the shifts, the kickdown cable may be stretched or generally in need of replacement / adjustment. Have it checked as well as the condition of the ATF.

Your MAF may give you rough idle or poor running issues but will not affect the shifting points. Most likely culprits will be a sensor or two. Look for live data when driving for the VSS and the TPS. If the TPS is jumping around at all with a steady throttle then it must be replaced. The VSS will give you issues with fuel cut-off and erratic idle if it is failing. IF the ECM senses a condition where the VSS is sending an errant signal like no movement (even if your are moving) then your IACV will engage and this is not supposed to happen unless the car is still or very commonly if it sends a speed signal over it's preprogrammed MAX. (105 or is it 110mph.. i don't remember) and the ECM will cut fuel to half the engine, thinking it is going too fast.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Crazy issues

It's a 95 and as of yesterday no check engine light and the shifting is normal I still think it's possible that the vss sensor is going because I did get a interminting code for that but now nuthing it's running like a champ thanx for all the info to all you guys

Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That is great news... hopefully you are progressing in the right direction.

Are you in Europe? I ask only because the P38A was not sold in the US until 96... sold in Europe in '95 around October / November as a 1996 model year. There were no '95's in the P38 line except test and prototype vehicles. IF you really have a '95 P38 then I'd say that is very special.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey thats really interesting news and no I'm in the us and according to my title paper work it's definitly a 95 thanks for that bit of info I will have to look into this further didn't know about this thanks...