General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Range Rover Supercharged....Looking To purchase...

Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Range Rover Supercharged....Looking To purchase...

I am looking at a 1 owner 2011 RR Supercharged with 66k miles. It looks to have been pretty well taken care of. No signs of kids or animals. Back seats look like they have never been sat in. Drove it....it is smoking fast, shifts good, no diff noise, brakes seem good, no rattles, noises or anything else. Drives straight down the road. Tires seem a little noisier than I would think but look good. What else should I look for?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 AM
4wd Low

I am in the same position and would appreciate any insight.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

We got one for my wife a while back. If it has some warranty, this is a good thing, as they ain't cheap to fix.

However, in my research prior to purchase, it seems the typical air compressor for the suspension likes to tank (a la the LR3) but that's about it.

For work that was needed on ours:
- radio went wonky and wouldn't connect to Sirius/XM after we transferred the vehicle to my account (I think they replaced the entire unit, which I'm certain was $$$$)
- right front air spring took a dump (came back from a few days to find it rather sad in the garage)
- some recall or the like and we got new front pads and rotors out of it
- driver's window regulator tanked
- all the cameras didn't work all the time (I think they replaced one or 2 and when it's REALLY hot they get a bit wonky)

A local Disco expert said the blowers like to take a dump too, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Also, there is a clunk in the front end that is apparently a known issue with no fix and I think it's only in the SC versions.

We've had it for a little over a year and over 15k miles.

I. Love. It. The economy is VERY acceptable for a fire breathing 6k lb monster. The handling is completely flat- if not a scoshe of understeer. It is quiet and elegant out on the road, and comfy or any sort of cruising. Did I mention 500 hp is never a bad idea?

Here are my nitpicks:
- I'm 6'7" and it could use a couple more inches of head room
- The infotainment system sucks. Bad. I mean really bad. I mean it's about 5 years behind the curve (my '12 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon blows it completely out of the water, which is kinda dumb for a machine of this caliber especially since the Jeep system is generally regarded to be about as reliable as... a Rover).
- rear lighting (both passenger and cargo areas) blows.

Those little things aside, I wrangle to drive it all the time. I totally love it. I mean the thing is completely wonderful. If you look at the throttle wrong, your economy will make a Disco look like a Pryus. If you cruise at around 70mph, you'll get over 20mpg all day long (no joke, and that is fully legit), but when you get in it- which is hard not to do since the power is so accessible and effortless- it will drop to single digits. I'd expect 14-16mpg on a regular basis.

The Jag drivetrain is simply superb and the fit and finish really is darn good- especially for what they can be had for. I actually will not do service on it as I'm scared of it, so I'm certain in the years to come, we'll need a healthy slush fund.

I'd buy it if the PPI comes in solid.

Last edited by longtallsally; 12-26-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Although a "facelifted" vehicle, it is still an L322 and we see lots of front struts on these. Speaking of struts, we see lots of broken wires at the struts.
If the water pump doesn't get you, the timing chains likely will. Both very common for the N/A and Supercharged version of the 5.0L engine.
The other "weak spot" we see on those is the entertainment stack in the left rear or the cargo area. Those modules get wet and fail.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 PM
4th Gear

If you were to buy a used Range Rover - Are the newer models better than the 2011? 2012? 2013? 2014?

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
Although a "facelifted" vehicle, it is still an L322 and we see lots of front struts on these. Speaking of struts, we see lots of broken wires at the struts.
If the water pump doesn't get you, the timing chains likely will. Both very common for the N/A and Supercharged version of the 5.0L engine.
The other "weak spot" we see on those is the entertainment stack in the left rear or the cargo area. Those modules get wet and fail.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

Forgot to mention that - I looked at a 2012 Range Rover SuperCharged