General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

29 days of ownership = 1st "service engine" light warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 29 days of ownership = 1st "service engine" light warning

Hey,
I think my Rover just welcomed me to the club of RR problems. lol I'm going to jump into the manual and read what could be wrong with my RR but the only thing that I did prior to the service engine light coming on was put the RR into Drive before the Rover had finished putting itself into the height level to which it should be in while driving around (cruising level). I had it in "entry" level while I was in park. My wife jumped in the passenger side and I started to drive off when the "level" indicator light was blinking so I pulled over put in park and it rose from the entry level to the solid line which is the cruising level. Could this have set off the "service engine" light?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use a hand held scanner and read the codes. Probably no big deal.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling

No, that will not set off the service engine light. Do you drop it down every time you park? If so, you are adding a lot of unnecessary stress on your compressor and EAS system.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, I will leave it in the cruising height unless absolutely necessary. Thanks for the tip. I thought the compressor could handle it but I dont want to push my luck. I guess I have to pamper it a little. Right?

If I can't use a hand held scanner to check the codes how else can you check whats wrong? A little confused here.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its the "service engine" light and not the "check engine" light right? If that is the case, its just reminding you to take it to the dealer for servicing and really doesn't mean anything at all. Sometimes you can clear it by disconnecting the battery. Most owners end up taking out the stupid light, especially because it will cause you to fail your emissions test because they morons there think its a check engine light. The light on mine was pulled out by the previous owner.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Good catch on the "service" vs. "check" engine light Scott. I somehow skimmed over that.

RROJ, the air compressor could probably handle it but when you go from the low position to normal driving position it uses a lot of air and the compressor has to run for quite a while to catch back up. The EAS is such a vital part of the vehicle that I would rather not risk it. Depending on the age it might not be a bad idea to rebuild the compressor before you have problems.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Rock Crawling

I went out to double check and it says in yellow "service engine soon". Manual says it could be as simple as the gas cap may not have been put on correctly. In Jersey where they still have attendants at the gas station they may have put in on incorrectly. I hope. I will check it first thing in the morning and just remove the cap and replace it myself and see it that does fix the problem. I hope that is all it is. I heard the engine light comes on different type of cars just because of the gas cap and people spend lots of money and time and all it was was the gas cap.
Thanks for you comments guys. I will keep you posted.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Guys, I opened the fuel door and the removed and replaced the gas cap and the light still shines bright "SERVICE ENGINE SOON". I think its just the Rover telling me that I have reached a mile stone in the service regs. I will go over what is due at the 78,000 mile stage in its life and do whatever is necessary. I can see how owners disconnected the light because it just stares at me like I'm ignoring it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You may be able to go to Autozone and have them clear it for you for free with their scanner. I bought a cheap $50 scanner that clears mine for me.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't clear a "service engine" light unless you have the special dealer tools. Seriously RROJ, you aren't going to find a problem since there isn't one... lol Thats why they call them "dummy lights".

Quick Reply: 29 days of ownership = 1st "service engine" light warning