General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 rr 4.6 hse

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 rr 4.6 hse

does somebody have a pdf for the rear end parts?
my RR is stuck in my driveway >< when i put it into gear all i hear is this really loud grinding noise coming from the rear axle and the car doesn't even move. lol i can't even get it into my garage because it's up hill. and the parking brake and ebrake don't work anymore the car just keeps on rolling back even in park with the ebrake up.

thanks for your help in advance.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is in park then it should not be rolling anywhere, even if the rear end was disconnected. Are you sure the sound is form the rear axle? It sounds more like an issue with the TC or tranny to me, but I am just spitballing here. What was going on with the vehicle before it came to the current place it is at now?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the transfer case is in neutral some how (cause the electric motor is broken) That the transmission can't stop the vehicle. And since the e-brake is basically a transmission brake, it won't do any good either. Could also explain the grinding noise.... Download the service manual and burn it to a disk as an "image" http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Three Wheeling

history before this incident is nothing lol. on sunday 1/24 my car made grinding noise on the freeway so i drove it home of course( my house was 10 minutes away) parked it in my garage. took the rear tires off and saw my brakes were super scrathed so i put the tires back on. a couple of days later(yesterday) i drove it about 2 minutes away from my house and it just got really unbearable grinding loud so i turned around and when i was driving up my driveway the car just didin't move and kept on grinding so i chucked it so it wouldn't roll back and just turned it off.

yea when my car is in park with the ebrake up the car just keeps rolling down my driveway lol. also my rear brake pads/rotors are eaten the hell up in a matter of minutes.and my car totally stopped moving in less than 20 minutes of operation from the time my brake bads got eaten up.

what would i be looking for to switch my TC into HI?

Last edited by middleman496; 01-31-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Pro Wrench

First use the h-gate. Put the transmission in N and then slide it to the other side. It should go make some beeping noises and shift into low. After that, slide it back over and let it go into hi range. See if that helps, if it does nothing. You might have a broken xyz switch or the little electric motor has stopped working. Look in the service manual it will tell you how it all works.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling

alright guys i did an all day diagnostic (to my best of knowledge) and talk to some people about my problems. 3 out of 5 said that most likely my chain broke in my TC. so i wil be looking to find a TC and front driveshaft soon.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Pro Wrench

That would explain the grinding noise. I've head of TC chains wearing out and slipping on these rigs, but I haven't heard of one actually breaking. I think mine has been replaced by the previous owner (crossing fingers). The transfer case on these vehicles is pretty simple. If you look in the service manual it will give a very detailed drawing of how things go together. I'm assuming you tried putting it into HI and LO with no success. Reason I ask, start from the cheapest most common problem. It would be a huge PIA to take the transfer case apart only to find the chain to be fine... I recently over diagnosed a problem on my range that left me sore and feeling like an idiot .

Last edited by LRScott; 01-31-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Three Wheeling

honestly im just gonna rip the rear diff apart anyways to see whats going on in there

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by middleman496
honestly im just gonna rip the rear diff apart anyways to see whats going on in there
lol, alright. have at it. post some pics if you can.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good thing is that the diff is an easy one and can pop out and back in without having to reset the backlash.

Your e brake is on the back of the transfer case and so if that is not holding then I am willing to guess it is the start of your problem. Why not check the fluid level and maybe even drain the TC and see what you get. If the chain is toast then you will see debris in the fluid, you probably will also see that the case is probably low on fluid. These TC cases are heavy duty but they are not that bad to take on and off.

Quick Reply: 96 rr 4.6 hse