General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light stays on / on board computer not working / etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light stays on / on board computer not working / etc

ok, i recently just purchased a 2003 range rover. everything was working fine. the electric, radio, etc. it didnt come with a nav cd so i purchased the latest edition from navtec 2007 series cds. i put in a cd, everything still seemed to work fine (had it working for days). im mentioned this because this was the only difference i made to the vehicle before the storm struck.

this morning, my range rover rear brake lights were on and no one was pushing the pedal. the engine/ignition wouldn't turn. all the lights were on so there was power. but nothing. so i figured from passed experiences on different cars its related to a fuse or the electrical. so i pulled out the "on board computer/audio system" fuse to get to the "brake lights" fuse right next to it. the brake lights turn off. i put back the brake lights fuse, still off. i put in the computer/audio fuse and the brake lights turns on again. so i take out the computer/audio fuse and try to see if it starts. it does! so problem somewhat solved other than a the computer/audio fuse is still out. i needed to get somewhere so i drove off. checked all the lights, turn signals, etc before i went, turned on the headlights, the passenger light went out. "check low beam light" appeared on the dash.

got to my destination and turned it off.. and when i got back, it started up.. but now the turn signals didnt work. atleast on the dash it was not showing up. i checked outside and they work, just not on the dash. i put back the computer/audio fuse and the brake lights stay off this time but the computer isnt working. i also took out the nav cd because thats the only thing i've done in the last couple days that was different or new to the vehicle.

so as of right now, the rear brake lights are working again (not sure if taking the fuse out and in just reset whatever was wrong), the headlight is out (checked bulb - its still good), the dash turn signals arent working, the computer/audio and radio do not work (it turns on with the logo then turns off shortly after)...any thoughts to why the brake lights stayed on and wouldnt start? why the headlight is out? why the computer/radio isnt working now??

thanks for any feedback!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Series of problems just occurred!

ok an update. went out this morning, the brake lights were on again but this time it started right up and they went off again...

is this a warning signal? it cant be the brake switch because it goes on and off. also the headlight turns on again. ive had the "brake" light on the dash on since i bought it. i need new brake pads...

with the computer and turn signals not working still, im thinking me taking out the fuses for the computer might have messed with that. do i need to reset anything in doing so??

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear
Question I have the exact symptoms same make model and yr

Did you ever find the solution? I am having the same exact problem. Just walked by the carport saw the brake lights on and key will not turn in ignition.

Thanks

-Kort

Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm pretty sure that the "brake" light being on means there is a problem with the brakes. There should be a separate light for the pads being worn down.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i would suspect an issue with BCU.

Check the grounds and powers to everything.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like one of those problems where you can only diagnose it by switching out the bcm. The bcm controls all those things. Hate those kinds of problems.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

It appears the whole thing was caused by a low battery. I disconnected it overnight then reconnected in the morning and the vehicle started right up. I took it out for an extended drive to charge the battery and all has been well since. With the exception of blowing a heater hose an hour into the drive, but that's fixed now too.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many electrical items on these trucks that the battery is so crucial and seems to be the cruxt of so many problems. With wierd error messages and erratic issues I would have gone straight to the battery first, that is why we all think the becm, it takes so much to keep it happy.

Glad you found the issue and it is fixed for now.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Drifting
Smile Odd cades 0x 3004 0x 1b02 & 1c02

Does anyone recognise these codes on a 2008 Range Rover Sport SC?

Last edited by bonnettoboot; 01-27-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Drifting
Smile

I have no idea how I managed to post this query on codes here, I thought I started a new post! Sorry