General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light: P1703

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Check Engine Light: P1703

My rover threw its first check engine light at me today... The code is p1703, my OBD reader could not identify it, I cleared it anyways. It hasn't been back since. I have a feeling it might be due to my dying battery and the alternator wiring needing an over hall. I did a search and found that rob has had this problem as well. He indicating it has something to do with the transfer case wiring. Just out of curiosity rob, does the code still show up on yours?

Another odd thing I've noticed is when the rover is on the battery charger. I walked by it the other day and noticed the "3" light on the transmission was lit! I opened the door, and the light extinguished and the "P" light lit up as it was supposed to, indicating the BECM just turned on. This only happens when the rover is on the battery charger, and after the BECM goes to sleep. The "3" light turns on and stays on unless you take the battery off the charger and open the door, and then let the BECM go back to sleep. ISNT THAT WEIRD!? Gotta love these things! I wonder if someone would be willing to put theirs on a charger to see what happens. Maybe its just a dumb function of the electrical system lol.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-29-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that code is for the transfer case and I still have mine and it has not gone away. It may just be a weird fault from the dying battery. Mine I feel is related to the actual wiring and so I need to fix that.

I can put mine on a charger and see what it does for you. Are you using a quick charger or a slow trickle?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench

I am using a quick charge. I have some weird a$$ electrical issue for some time now. I need to sell my jag before I dig into the rover though .

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay, when I charge mine it does not show anything like that on the display or on the shifter. You must have a stray wire feeding it power when it is on for some reason. You gotta love the wiring stuff.

Keep the Jag, you may need to drive something else while working on the Rover.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Keep the Jag, you may need to drive something else while working on the Rover.
Thats what my hyudai is for lol.

Did you let the becm sleep with the charger on it? It only does it when its charger and the becm is about to go to sleep. Then when it goes to sleep it must go HEY look power! I think I'll light up the number 3 on the transmission . Thanks Rob!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I did not wait for it to go to sleep or anything. I guess I can check that one tomorrow when I get back from Montana.

Well I guess if you have a back up then you can sell the Jag. I am debating whether or not to get rid of my work car so I can drive the Rover more. I will have to make down towards Meridan sometime so we can go wheeling together.