General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closing the thermal switch of an EAS air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closing the thermal switch of an EAS air compressor

I have a 1998 Range Rover 4.0SE.
Recently, I found the real air springs bad (leaking)and replaced therm.
However,although thereplacement, the RR did not raise its height, but theheight adjustmentlight (on the center fascia)flickered continuously.

The reason is thatthe air compressordoes not work (not vibrate even though the ECU is sending signal).
I disassembled the aircompressor unit and found that the motor is working but the thermal switch is open.
After cleaning the inside the air compressor, it worked shortly, butstop working again.

ANY IDEA HOW TO MAKE THETHERMAL SWITCHCLOSED?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Closing the thermal switch of an EAS air compressor

If I'm not mistaken the thermal switch is part of the compressor itself.

I found on RangeRovers.net this info about repairing/diagnosing the compressor. In this case he had a few problems with the compressor, but the thermal switch was the 'immediate cause', and he just wanted to inflate the springs to test.

If voltage is getting to the compressor but it does not run, the problem could be the thermal cutout switch falsely telling the ECU that the pump is overheated. (The compressor is only rated for about 15% duty cycle at maximum pressure, hence the need for a thermal cutout). In my case, although the pumping was becoming slow and the bearings were getting noisy, the failure of the thermal cutout was the immediate cause of failure. This switch (the third and thinnest lead, colored orange, emerging from the pump motor body) is normally connected to the ground lead of the compressor; it open circuits when the operating temperature gets too high. On mine, the cutout switch open circuited for no particular reason, telling the ECU that the pump should be switched off. I was able to get the system going again by grounding this lead with a jumper.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks WolfPackfor your kind post reply.

After carefullexamination of the thermal switch circuit on the inside cover of the compressor motor case, I thought I would try to test andreplace the malfunctioning parts of the circuit. I think with proper electronic tools and a tester, the thermal switch circuit would be fixed.

However, as you suggested, connecting the orange wire to the black wire with a jumperis the simplest solution for the compressor motor to work without the thermal switch interruption.

Many thanks again.

John

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OH BOY