General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunking sound on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking sound on acceleration

I've been driving a 2000 Range Rover 4.0 SE for about a year. It now has 97750 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago it began to make an a load clunk or two when I accelerated quickly. there is no clunking if I take off nice and easy. Unfortunately, I've been getting a little more clunking now than a couple of weeks ago.
The sound is coming from below and behind the driver. It seems to be coming from the driveshaft area.
Here is where things get bad. I let a local mechanic take a peek at the problem. He felt it could be the U joints so he dropped the drive shaft to inspect. He said the U joints looked good so he reinstalled the driveshaft. Now I have more problems along with my clunking.
The transmission is not working properly. I am having to start out in 1st gear and manually shift to each gear inorder to drive. I'm also getting some strange error messages on the dashboard display. Stuff like "sunroof not set" and "rear window not set". At one point a message read "gearbox failure" but it has gone away.
I'm not sure what to do now, except that I will not take it back to my local mechanic for diagnostics.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: clunking sound on acceleration

First, quit taking it to someone who is not a Rover tech. Take it in and have them read all your codes both for the tranny as well as the windows and the other stuff you mentioned. I am not saying you may not have a drive shaft issue, but the answer to most of your problems can be found by a mechanic using a test book to see what information the computer has stored up.
Do that then get back to us.
Mike