General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak questions

Hi,

I searched around, nothing seems to capture my issue exactly, and wouldn't mind if any experts could chime in with most likely issues I am up against.

I have a '04 RR HSE with 97xxx, it's been well maintained, but recently the ventilation system stopped working, well the fan never seemed to kick on, there is warm air, but fan speed cant get past one - an issue, but something I've been sorta ignoring for time being.

Last week, the low coolant light flashed, and I was made away of that bloody valley pan gasket leak 6 months ago - but, I hardly drive, and I planned to tackle it next summer since it was such a sloooowww leak.

Well, yesterday, I used the truck for a good hour (usually use it in 20 minute periods, 1-2 times a week), once parked, I noticed a sizable amount of coolant under the truck, maybe a quart or more came out relatively quickly. I added some water this morning to overflow (it was dry), and nothing really leaked out quickly, minor bubbles leaking from the reservoir area (possible), and it seems to be slight droplets come from front park of engine on driver side control arms, minor though, compared to the pace it leaked out last night.

My plan is to carry some water on me, drive it tomorrow about 5 miles to the dealership, as the truck was working fine, no signs of running hot at all before I noticed all of this. Does anyone want to point me to the likely suspects on this? I believe the previous owner changed the radiator and water pump at 80k miles, and due to circumstance, I am going to need to take it to dealership, unless someone has a recommendation for great LR mechanic in Brooklyn or Queens? If it's something terrible like valley pan which requires HOURS of work - what's the typical charges people are getting for this?

Thanks for reading and any advice.

T

Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it would just help to know what price I should expect to pay for a valley pan gasket replacement, as I think this is the issue and requires a decent number of hours to remove the intake plenum?

Does this typically start as very slow leak and then finally erupt? It seems to be slow when engine is on, then pour out as soon as engine is shut down.

Thanks for thoughts.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know what the price for something like that would be. I bet the reason so much came out is that when the engine is hot there is more pressure in the system and so it will cause the leak to be great. To find it you may need to run it for a while and see where it is spewing out. As long as it did not overheat then you are probably okay. Hopefully someone will chime in with what doing the valley pan gasket would cost.