General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions

I have been in intense negotions with my wife over her car situation. She has a navy/tan 2008 Sport and her lease is up. She wants to buy it. We can buy it for 36k, and it has about 36k miles on it. We were all set to do it, and then another option came along.

A familly member with Gray/black2007 HSE has offerred to sell us their can for a lot ess than we can buy the sport for. This car is garage kept, and has 22k miles on it. It has been driven by a mowan in her late 50's and it is in perfect shape. We can buy for way less than its worth. They want to buy the 2010. It is a parent-child transaction, so that is why the pricing is so generous.

Here is the catch, my wife says she doesn't want it because it has black interior, and thinks a 2007 is "too old". Personally, I can't even really tell the difference in a 2007 or 2009. and 22000 miles is noting on a car.

I did the math, and if financed, the difference in real cost is 13k, and the residual value of the Range Rover will be much higher than the sport. because immediatyl pick up equity.

Is my wife crazy, or am I jerk for trying to force my wife to do the deal? FYI- my wife is a 31 year old stay at home mom.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could save the 13k and buy another rover lol. A 2007 is too old for her? Really.... Sounds like you got your hands full. The 2007 to 2009 are identical. I like the Range Rover over the sport, they have more room, more visibility, and more wood . HOWEVER, it is her car and she'll never let you live it down if for some reason the one you force her to buy starts having issues. It will be your fault if it leaves her stranded LOL. To ME, I wouldn't care, its my money and I would save the 13k lol. Do what you want, that is just my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Go with the HSE. If she thinks 2007 is too old tell her my wife drives a 1998 and she is happy to have one that new

Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Women no offence to the ladies up here.....lol

Old 07-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if things are really that good for you then buy the 07 and sell it put the profit towards the newer truck turn the leaser back in.. OR buy the 07 and keep it,
when its paid off then you will have a truck the driveway with low mileage instead of having to turn it back in and the depreciation wont be much of an issue as the PO of the 07 has taken the hit

Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
if things are really that good for you then buy the 07 and sell it put the profit towards the newer truck turn the leaser back in.. OR buy the 07 and keep it,
when its paid off then you will have a truck the driveway with low mileage instead of having to turn it back in and the depreciation wont be much of an issue as the PO of the 07 has taken the hit

I doubt he has the option of buying the '07 and just turning around to sell it. The reason he's getting a good deal on it is because it's within his family, so they're essentially doing a favor to him. It'd be a pretty ****ty thing to do to take advantage of that and just flip it to make a quick buck.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same everything on the vehicles. Buy the cheaper one. Tell your wife to keep her mouth shut since you pay the bills. If she wants to start contributing to the monthly finances then she should have a say in what to buy and what not to buy.

Take the 13 grand saved and put it towards the kids schooling. Or better yet take her on a vacation and tell her it was paid for by the savings on the used rover.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:01 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Same everything on the vehicles. Buy the cheaper one. Tell your wife to keep her mouth shut since you pay the bills. If she wants to start contributing to the monthly finances then she should have a say in what to buy and what not to buy.

Take the 13 grand saved and put it towards the kids schooling. Or better yet take her on a vacation and tell her it was paid for by the savings on the used rover.

I like your "tough love" style. She is going to take a look at the car tonight.

My wife is a great wife and wonderful mother. but she she is just stubborn as hell. I have my hands full with her, but her positives far outweigh the negatives.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Unless my wife wanted to get a second job and pay for the difference she would be getting the cheaper one... and she would like it!