General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have one for you Classic Guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have one for you Classic Guys

I have an 88 Classic, and as you know it has 2 fan motors. One that controls the A/C which is down low on the passenger side firewall, and the other is located just under the top of the dash in the center. This is the one that I am having trouble with. It has such a loud rattle at all speeds, like the shaft is loose or the cage is hitting the housing the fan is located in. How do I get the thing out? I have removed the defrost cups and I can see it, and after removing the front of the dash, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the top dash, can't find any visible screws or any other attaching devices for the top of the dash. Is this the way to get this motor out? I was also thinking there may be another way by taking off the body panel on the outside just in front of the windshield. Anybody with any ideas? Thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Mudding
Default RE: I have one for you Classic Guys

You'll need to remove the heater box, To start,you need to remove the front ac facia,let the ac assy hang after you get it loose,you'll start to find lots of screws as the parts start to fly,remove the inst cluster,lift the rs rubber pad in front of the dash grab handle to access screws, also the radio,heatercontrols etc.disconnect the heater hoses under the hood,lots of wiring to disconnect etc.its no small job. look for a blower motor kit from rovers north or brit-atlantic, no longer avail from Land Rover.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Mudding
Default RE: I have one for you Classic Guys

WOW, that is very helpful. I knew it was not going to be easy, as I had gotten to the point to where I could not get the top of the dash off. There is a cap on the left side of the motor that seems to be what is making the noise, where the shaft is chattering though the bearing. When I loosing the nuts and adjust it around a bit and I can change the pitch of the rattle almost to the point of it going away. It seems like this is what is keeping the fan from vibrating inside the housing and that might be all that I need to replace. I would hate to take the entire dash out if all I need to replace is this cap the shaft goes through.