General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Frost in NJ brings front end down to bump stops!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Frost in NJ brings front end down to bump stops!

We just had our first frost in NJ! I noticed if my RR rests for more than a day the EAS has to level things out when I turn the key. Now, since the air dipped below 32 degrees will all R.Rovers EAS systems be effected by the cold air and lower the vehicles more noticably then in warmer climates? I went out to my RR early in the morning and the front end was dipped down to the bump stops. Front bags look new and the rear ones look originals with visable cracks. Rear bags will get replaced asap!

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess the cold could have an effect on the system, but only if there is an issue already. I would look more into the front bags or possibly the solenoids for the front. They may have triggered open in the cold weather. I would let it air back up and see if it does it again.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the feed back Rob. Yesterday the system was air back up and and it held but the temp did not drop below 32 degrees. I will have to test it again as the cold weather is inevitable. I will keep everyone posted on my findings.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It is always hard to diagnose when it does not do it all the time. It may have ben even just a random electricl issue like these can do now and then.

Let us know if it happens again.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Rock Crawling

We had our second frost this week and vehicle was sitting on all four bump stops. I turned the key and it raised up to crusing height. I have noticed it does this on cold temperature days and not only the below freezing temps. I guess its fine. What are your thoughts RR owners?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

All I can come up with is that the cold will allow the cracks in the bags to let out some more air, but all the way down overnight is a bit excessive. I wish I had more ideas for you.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have Range Rover, just a Disco which doesn't even have SLS, and in reading through this thread something came to mind. As previously stated, I have no first hand experience, just theory. At 32* water freezes. Is there a drier somewhere in your air suspension system which should be removing moisture from the air? Is it possible that the desiccant in the drier has gone bad, allowing excessive moisture into the lines, compressor, valves, etc, which when temperatures drop, freezes and allow valves to remain open that should be closed?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Well folks we had yet another NJ frost and nothing happened. Now what I have noticed it that the RR will loose air from time to time while parked and now in between starts which are days apart. But it will always rise to the occasion and stay that way while driving. I guess I can drive it this way until the bags no long hold air for the entire ride and then replacements will be ordered from British Atlantic.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Maybe you have opposite of my issue in the summer. For some reason my front passenger door will decide it is open when it is not during hot weather. It is intermittent so it is am annoyance.

If yours does this with the rear hatch when it is cold then the system will go into crawl mode and drop all the way down. It could be doing this when it is cold and you never know it. It could even do it with just about any rear door too. Just a thought.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Rob,
Are you saying the vehicle will slow itself down (crawl mode?) if it feels that the door or tail gate is not closed properly? We had another frost last night and just the front end dropped.
I'm guessing as long as all four bags hold during my travels not to worry. I will order a set of bags since they are showing their age.
Thanks for the feedback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Frost in NJ brings front end down to bump stops!