General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings... I need some advice, please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Greetings... I need some advice, please!

Hello all, I'm not new to Rovers, but am considering adding a 2001 RR HSE to the family.

I am familiar with the 4.6 BOSCH engine, to some extent, as I have that power-plant in my '04 Disco (now at 83k, the last 41k under my tenure and in under 2 yrs). Mine's been pretty good, but I maintain it religiously and don't leave things unattended to. I am a DIY-er for the most part, certainly with all preventative maintenance and with repairs that don't require me to dig too deep into the internals. For instance, I'm on the fence when it comes to tackling something like head gaskets myself- I believe I could do it, but it would be my most ambitious foray to-date!

The truck I'm looking at has 122k on it, and appears to be in very good (I hesitate to call any used vehicle, especially a Rover, "outstanding") condition. It is a 2-owner truck, and is truly 2-owner in that it was never a lease. 1st owner drove it to 70k miles, 2nd owner put the next 52k on it and now it's a t a little specialty high-end car lot about 2 hours south of me here in FL. I believe it to still be on the EAS, but don't know anything about what kind of work (if any) it's had done or may need.

In the Discovery forums, there's a pretty comprehensive "what to look for" checklist that was made a sticky at the top... anyone know of a thread like that for the P38 that I could check out?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever you look for on a discovery before you buy it, is going to be pretty much the same on a RR. The only real difference is the EAS. If the air springs haven't been replaced yet, expect to in the future. Look at the condition of them, if they are cracking and you can hear hissing, then they will definitely need attention in the future. If the system is almost shot, then you can convert it to coils relatively easy. How much are they asking for it out of curiosity?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drove down and looked at it today. Wow, what a poor mistreated truck. The pics were very flattering, but up-close-and-personal it was a different story. Plus, it was leaking just about everything it could leak from all the wrong places!

It's a shame too, this truck is in my favorite color on the P38! Here's the truck, it's at a dealer:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/1890516335.html

If you go to their site they have all sorts of flattering pics that aren't exactly accurate representations of the vehicle!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that color too. It is so hard to tell anything from pictures unless they make a point of highlighting all of the defects.