General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - eas fault 55 km / hr

Old 10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - eas fault 55 km / hr

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a 1998 Land Rover Range Rover SE. I have owned it for over 3 years now and have on going repairs.

I am 21 years old and love my Theo (my Rover)... but the constant repairs are killing me... especially being a student.

The other day I was driving and EAS Fault 55 KM/HR SLOW appeared on the dash. It says that my vehicle is raised but really it is sitting really low and the switch on the dash has all four lights lit up and I can not change the level. I hear the compressor kicking on and off but the vehicle never adjusts its height.

I can still drive it just it is not a very comfortable ride and feel like a bobble head when I go over the slightest of bumps.

I would like to know roughly how much it is going to cost to fix it? Is it something I could just pump air into it myself? Is it really bad for my Theo if I don't get it fixed right away? (I can't afford to fix it as I just put a $1000 into last month and had to relocate to another city) Can I drive it on the highway?

I just really would like to know if I am harming the vehicle more by still driving it? I want to get Theo back to my hometown (about a 7 hour drive) for my father to look at it.

Thank you.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must hava a leak somewhere that is causing the fault. First go to RSW solutions to download the eas unlock software, then you can get in there and reset the fault and figure out the issue. You can drive it like it is but it on the bump stops and will bounce the heck out of you. I drove mine for about 100 miles when I had my first EAS fault. Another idea is you can air it up manually but there is a bunch of re routing of the air lines that you need to do and then you still can have a leaky bag that will drop over time.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ridding on the bump stops is not easy on the rover, and will over time damage the air springs. I love EAS, unfortunately I have metal springs (bought it that way). If it’s simple, I would fix it and move on. However, the EAS system is far more expensive to run than just using springs. I definitely love the ride of rovers with EAS, but it is also very nice not having to deal with the system either. Being a college student, I can relate to keeping expenses low (ironically we both own RRs). That is your decision on the coil conversion though.
Check the obvious things, like the potentiometers, the air springs themselves. Listen for leaks, etc. My money is on the valve block though (not cheap). There are several things that could be causing your problem. Check out this link that explains the system and its faults: http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails...n/suspump.html
If it is the valve block, which it might be. You can manually raise the system by rigging it like this: http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails...n/suspump.html

Old 10-09-2010, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you both for the info... I managed to get my Theo down to my hometown... 7 hours of very painful driving... but we made it... only loosened off a exhaust pipe... my Uncle and Father have both informed me it is an easy fix...
As for the EAS we are going to try to set it up so that I can just manually pump air into... fingers crossed... not the best fix... but hoping the cheapest fix at this point...
All I know is that I am very glad to have my Porsche sitting in storage... out it comes (even though it doesn't do the cold so well... it will work for the next month until the Uncle and Father have time to deal with Theo)...
Anyhoos... thanks again for the info...

Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by handsome rob
You must hava a leak somewhere that is causing the fault. First go to RSW solutions to download the eas unlock software, then you can get in there and reset the fault and figure out the issue. You can drive it like it is but it on the bump stops and will bounce the heck out of you. I drove mine for about 100 miles when I had my first EAS fault. Another idea is you can air it up manually but there is a bunch of re routing of the air lines that you need to do and then you still can have a leaky bag that will drop over time.

Let us know what you find out.

Rob, I have a simiar problem.
I have the unlock software and was able to raise and clear it but the error comes back on most days.

The error codes are not consitent (somedays many errors, some days no errors displayed).

Do you have any suggestions on what I could try next?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If the fault code comes on but the vehicle does not lower then it is probably just an annoyance of it tripping the fault but not really doing it in the system to have it drop to the bump stops. If it does go into fault mode and drops down then there is a elak somewhere. If it sporatic you may need to really pay attention to when it is happening. Mine would only do it when I went on the freeway and it would drop to to highway mode, that is where my leak was, all the other times it was just fine.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM
4wd High

The fault/lights come on and the car drops to access mode.
It happens either every day but sometimes every other day. Other times It seems to stay up if I leave the computer connected with the unlock software running.

It sounds like it make be a leak or inability to hold pressure but it just makes me wonder why it seems to stay up when the computer is connected.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I cannot be certain but the computer may be stopping it from faulting all the way out. If it is doing it that much you obviously have a leak. Check the bags first since thay are easy to do and easy to replace if they are the culprit. Use the soapy water and spray it around at different height levels. One other way to check and see if it is just a single bag is to disconnect the EAS computer once it is all aired back up. It is located just under the drivers seat and has a long connector on it that unlocks from one side only then slides off if I remember right. This will stop it from faulting out and dropping down, that way if it is just one bag you may see that corner drop and will help narrow it down. Plus, if you see it is just that corner then you can reattach the connector and get it aired back up enough to make it home without hitting the bump stops.