General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ME: Trying to get back to RR 4.6 Vitesse "Heaven"!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME: Trying to get back to RR 4.6 Vitesse "Heaven"!!

Hey guys; I have 1997 RangeRover 4.6 HSE with 152000 miles.Just had head gaskets done as well as Most all of ignition components. New brakes,New ABS pump, prior coil spring 'conversion. Basically i have poured lots of $$$$ to get my Red 4.6 HSE back to her original Glory. But still have (1) Issue and (1) general question for my fellow forums members.

I NO longer have any "check engine" faults showing; BUT have Not been able to figure out 'SRS' light with the 'airbag fault' in the message center. I have cleaned and checked connector under driver seat(But could Not locate a like connector under Passenger seat). This issue is keeping me from having NO 'warnings/lights' in dash and message center. I need Your help/advise/suggestions Please....
My "question" is ; when travelling at 70 miles p/h.....my rpm is exactly 2500. Is this correct/accurate for that speed. I seek to get Big Red in prime running condition . Since gas milage sucks i at least am trying to get optimum performance . Am i close to benchmark????? THANKS in advance to ALL............

Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Rock Crawling

rpms sounds about right. You will have to go to a LR shop to get the SRS light turned off. Mine is on too. I just took out the bulb, but it still says SRS fault when i start it.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two bulbs in the system. it knows when one is pulled and will throw a code for it. We don't reset SRS lights on RR. They reset themselves. They look for a certain amount of resistance and if its too high it comes on. Unless its been in an accident, more then likely it will stay on. Chances are the driver or the passenger seat wiring is pulling just a bit causing the issue.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling

I did not know that about the system resetting itself. I have tried and tried to get my SRS system to not have a fault. Is the wiring under the seat for all p38s or just those with seat belt pretentioners and side airbags? I have replaced the SRS ECU, the steering wheel rotary coupler, and checked every connection with a yellow covering on it, but still can't get the SRS light to go off. I haven't used an ohm meter on either of the airbags because of the warnings in the service manual about setting them off. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the voltage from a digital meter could set off an airbag, but I still have not tried to check them. Does anyone have any experience with testing them?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually if you replace the module you have to get it reprgmed. The system resets itself after you fix the problem. if the wiring is an issue you have to get the codes read to find out where in the system is a problem. But the light will go off if the problem is fixed. If not fixed the tech that clears it will have it come back on immediately.