General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help needed!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed!

This truck has had some issues. Here's our problems now...

After recent oil change, we started smelling burning oil and even saw smoke from the tailpipe. Took it in and they determined that we needed to replace the valve cover gasket, real main seal and coolant cover plate. Of course that job runs approx $1700 at the dealership. We are going to try to get another local mechanic to do it because he has cheaper labor rates - any suggestiion on where we can get the parts from? We looked and saw some online at partsgeek.com

The other issue its having is that the battery is always dying. We had the dealership check this back in January...told us that the batter we had in there was not "strong enough". We allowed them to replace it for $150. We stopped driving it because of the oil leak (didn't want to cause more problems) - battery died - with new battery. Okay, so we take it in and have them check it, during the same visit they determined we needed the gaskets replaced and said that the battery THEY put in there was a bad battery and it needed to be replaced. Okay, since they have no control of the new battery dying, we had to pay them $52.50 to install it. CRAZINESS!

But what's really crazy is - THE NEW BATTERY IS NOW DEAD! So obviously something is killing the battery, which is what we initially told them. I can't afford to keep peeling out diagnostic fees for them to not know what the real problem is...anyone had this issue?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's not cool. Why can't they just recharge the old one? Bet they did and sold it to the next guy. Try rangerovers.net under electrical sticky. Can't answer anything cause you don't have the type of truck. Classic,p38a,new style...etc year?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling

DO NOT go back to that place. They are the kind of shop that just throws parts at it rather than find the real cause of the problem. They should have replaced the battery the second time on their dime.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
4wd Low

Oops, I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE...

I did find some great information at rangerovers.net about the HEVAC system causing the battery drain. I printed it and will take it with me when I take it back to the shop (IF IT WILL CRANK), last time I had to pay $75 to have it towed because the battery would not charge at all!

The sad part is - this is the ONLY dealer in our area. You think they should know what they are doing since they are "certified" Land Rover technicians. I'm still upset about having to pay for labor to put in a daggoned battery! That was ridiculous. And yes you are right, I bet they did sell it to the next person for $150 just as they did me!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, as a dealer tech that is pretty bad for the diag.

but its possible it didn't have the hevac update. if its within the vin range then yes it could be the problem. And actually interstate would have paid for the entire cost of the battery and install. But only after determining if there was a drain and or a problem with the alternator.

and most likely the oil leak is broken pcv hoses both upper and lower. They break underneath the intake and blow out the oil in a bad way.

Rear mains don't go in those engines.

and talk with the manager. Tell him its his battery. Yes a half an hour diag for checking the alternator and the drain on the vehicle is to be expected but only if it was done. If the idiot charged the battery and wanted to get paid for install then no it would be incorrect and under warrantee. Basically the pay time for the battery and testing it should be no more then .2. Not a half an hour. You put it on the charger and walk away and let the machine do the work.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for all of the information! I don't believe this dealership knows too much about repair. I hate that I'm actually stuck and have NO ONE else to repair it! I really need to get the oil leak fixed but just as important for me to get the electrical problem fixed...how do I find out if my VIN number falls in that repair?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM
4wd Low

This is so frustrating...okay, I have to bring the diagnostic (hence me printing that HEVAC information) to the dealership BUT still they want to charge me a diagnostic fee...UGH!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried finding a local Land Rover shop? We only have one dealership in our area, but have several places that will work on Land Rovers.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
4wd Low

Yes I have searched for a local repair shop. The closest one to me WAS near Greenville, South Carolina which is almost 2 hours away from me BUT now they are no longer in business, so basically I'm stuck! I took it to another smaller dealership that specializes in BMW and had a coolant leak for an entire year almost, had to switch the radiator several times, all the hoses, etc. AND come to find out the leak was from a simple O-ring! So I won't be going back there either!

I am going to have my husband talk to the GM at the dealership to address our concerns, something has to be done about that battery issue!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling

The O-ring leak is very common and most of us on this board have had some experience with it. Land Rovers really aren't all that special when it comes to repairs. 90% of things can be handled by a good independent shop. Seriously, for most things, if they can fix it on a Chevy truck they can fix it on your Rover. They are more alike than they are different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help needed!