General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermitant overheating/hvac issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermitant overheating/hvac issues

I have a 2000 4.0 RR that has had HVAC issues for years and I refuse to spend the thousands to get them fixed. I have dealt with each side of the car getting stuck, I have delt with the heat/ac stuck on in the wrong season, etc.

This is something new. I am aware of a blend moter issue which has caused my temperature inside the car to be ... (the heat was stuck on til July and now the AC is stuck on at about 62 freezing us in the morning now) I used to be able to hit the defrost button (the programed defrost) and it would actually heat the interior of the car up as well as clear the windshield til the blend moters decided I actually needed heat, BUT now I get the freezing ac thru the defroster as well. I have also noticed that the engine temp has been going over the the hot side and almost immediately back to normal too.

I have turned the AC off (sometimes the light on this button blinks before staying on too, weird huh), and manully turned the fans off so we dont turn into popcicles

I am thinking I may need a new thermostat or a hose.... anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: intermitant overheating/hvac issues

I would like to help, but I am totally confused. What exactly are you wanting to do right now?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
4wd High

What could be the cause of the freezing air thru the defroster and/or the temp gauge flipping to hot occationally? Do you think that they might be related? Could a clogged hose or thermostat cause these things?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 AM
3rd Gear

I may have had the exact same problem as you do... It started to get cold here in WA and figured it wastime to start using the heater.I turn on
thehvac and all I got is a blow of freezing air and engineoverheating. I played around a little and found out that every timeIturned on the hvac the temp gauge started lighting up, and still COLD air. I did a little research and tried a couple of things.. and got it to work! All I had to do was bleed the cooling system and topped her off with coolant.Since then she breathes like a dragon and doesn't seem to overheat. To bleed the system Iwarmed the Landy up with the coolant reservoir cap off I made sure that there was always coolant in the tank while bleeding. Its ok if it overflows theres a line for overflow. This seemed to solve my problem so far. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Overlanding

Have you cleaned/replaced the pollen filters for the blower motors on each side of the dashboard? You can access them from under the hood.