General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location turn signal relay location

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location turn signal relay location

Where would I find the relay for the turn signal on a 1996 Range Rover?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Location turn signal relay location

bad news, the relay is internal to the body electrical control unit (under seat).
as i can see from your other post on the front turn signal issue with
the light staying on, had this happen with a right reverse staying on and it was
a internal becm problem. the cheap way out was to wire the right reverse light to left.
i think once you have confirmed the failure is internal to becm you could wire the rear turn
signal to the front, if replacement of the becm is not an option due to cost.
all the best

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks,

Did you literally jump one light to the other or do it through the becm? Can you trick the becm into believing the front indicator light is operable?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Rock Crawling

i did it inside the lower tail door the customer had no intension of buying a new becm
and cut the faulty feed wire that was staying on.
confirm that its internal to the becm by back probing connector 113 pin 4 (ten pin connector at the becm thats yellow) pin 4 is a green with white wire for the passenger side front indicator.
you may have to remove the pin from the connector to make sure the power is not back feeding from somewere else into the becm on that wire your testing, suggest using a digital multimeter
not a test light, because a test light can damage a becm when testing pins with the power on.
it may be simpler for you to run a single wire from the rear to the front then risk damaging the very expensive becm but i don't know your technical level. is the side repeater light stuck on also? it may be a shorter run to that wire then to the back.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling

No, the side repeater is fine. I sized up the situation earlier today and it seems it would be a fairly simple procedure to make a pig tail at the + feed for the repeater and run it to the front indicator, cut the becm supply and splice in the + feed from the indicator. I likely won't test the becm first. From all I have read, I'd say with all likely hood that's it. If I start messing with the becm, I am afraid I'd go from the frying pan to the fire. Running a new feed seems to be a safe and effective decision, do you agree?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling

yes, as long as its positive on the side repeater to positive on the right front turn signal i agree its safe as long
as you cut that always on wire and tape it up. bulb failure message might be listed in the instrument cluster massage center after cutting that positive wire at the right front turn signal bulb.
i am wondering if will blink at a faster rate, but its something that can be changed back to stock very easily.
let me know

Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Im already getting the fault and fast blink, since I removed the light bulb. I read on another forum that running from the repeater to the front indicator solved both the always on problem as well as the fault- go figure. I guess that would be a Land Rover for you if that's the case. I'll let you know after I do the surgury.