General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Battery warning on 2011 RR

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Battery warning on 2011 RR

I got a 2011 RR about 6 months ago, and I have gotten a "Low Battery" warning very frequently since about the 1st week of having it. The dealership sean test after test & said that nothing was wrong. Then they said it was user error from me leaving the key in the car at night, so I started putting the key across the house. I still have the issue, so they said it was because I was not locking the car at night. I have had this issue for the past 3 mornings with the car locked & the key across the house. Now they are just saying that it is normal, so my question for you other 2011 RR, do you have this issue?

The following users liked this post:
Suha Darben (11-25-2020)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

While the dealer may not have checked all tech bulletins, it could be other things. But in general sounds like a weak battery or connection to it. The chemical age of a battery is from creation date, not date truck was built. If you buy a battery at a store it may well be "younger" than one that was made in country "X", shipped to Rover assembly point in bulk (meaning slow), out the door, on to a ship, sail the ocean, sit in a distribution yard, load on a truck, ship to dealer, sit on lot until you fell in love with it. Batteries are chemical and start dying the day they are made.

You can have it tested for free at most auto parts stores, and it will give you a print out. You can also buy your own handy tester for about $20 and see what volts are there at various times of the driving day (not as good as a load test, but shows you waht is going on and when). See https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...ghlight=tester

You could also hook up a small charger overnight and see if problem repeats, may indicate a small drain dealer missed.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry, I should have noted that I have had the dealer to replace the battery--made the issue go away for about 4 weeks, and they have replaced some battery cable. It keeps coming back & now they are acting like it is common.

I would guess by your suggestions that you would not say that it is common?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Being a humble shade tree mechanic, I have no access to dealer TSBs and the like. But you can imagine that few guys that handed over the serious folding money these command would want to have a dead battery every month.

Automotive batteries charge at 13.6 - 14.4 volts. If they are below 13.2, they just are not getting enough charge. One problem can be an alternator that is "partially" defective, in that one of the diodes is bad. It will make good volts, but not under full load. So instead of producing say 100 amps, it may only produce 66 amps. This becomes a problem when driving around with lights, AC, wipers, etc. Should be able to turn on every thing that came with the truck and still have above 13.2 volts at the cigar lighter (that plug in tester). This would apply to any make or model. I have had an Audi 5000, a Ford Taurus, and a Mercedes 300TE all leave me stranded with low alternator output not charging battery enough. They can test your alternator with a clamp on amp meter, don't have to remove from vehicle.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The battery monitor system must be recalibrated when either the
battery has been replaced or the bms ground cable has been replaced.

That being said, the "battery low please start engine" message does not
mean the battery is bad.

You stated you had left the keys in your vehicle. and not locked it.
these are ALL valid points and suggestions your dealer has recommended as possibilities..
Are you in a cold climate, what country?
Does your vehicle sit for extended periods of time,
Do you use a cell phone in your vehicle, and have you tried disconnecting it from the vehicle when not using it?
Do you have a wireless computer router, and have you tired using a different
frequency?
Do you leave an ipod or any other electrical device connected when not in use?
Have you considered using a trickle charger?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

so with it's own wifi it can read these posts and pout.... too much electronics.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I have a 2011 RR with the same problem now. What did you end up doing?
thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear

The best solution that I found for fixing the issues with the car was to trade it in. I had a serious love/hate with that car. It is by far my most favorite car that I have ever owned, but it was the worst car too.

The dealership kept doing thing & doing things to "fix" the battery issue, and the were finally able to make it mostly go away, but it would still happen from time to time. They had my RR about 5 or 6 weeks out of the 2 years that I owned it, so they had plenty of time to tweak the battery.

I wish that I had a better answer for you, but like many of the odd issues with that car, most of them could not be explained.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The above post is correct, the battery replacement has to be registered with the car. I had a 2012 RRS in two weeks ago that even though the battery tested "good", the car was showing an estimated state of charge to be 0%, and the message would show up when started.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that sucks. I hope that you got the battery replaced.

Quick Reply: Low Battery warning on 2011 RR