General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rover is rolling while in park

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rover is rolling while in park

I purchased a 2000 4.6 from a private party a month ago knowing that the transfer case was shot. I took the vehicle in to get state inspected and the inspector told me that the rear differential was bad because it would not stay put while in park. I told him that the drive shaft was out of the transfer case and that was the problem. Because of his lack of experience with Land Rovers I ignored his advise. Today I parked the vehicle in the office parking lot and the vehicle does in fact roll backwards while in park. Is this an issue because the drive shaft is not in the transfer case because it is shot or do you think I have a bad rear differential? I hope that I do not have to replace both the transfer case and rear differential.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well the good news is that a used diff is pretty cheap if you look around, but I dont think you need one.

When you put the truck in park you are locking the transmission, the t-case is connected to the trans.
So if your rear driveshaft is removed then the front diff should hold the truck in place once any slack is taken up.
Have you tried setting the parking brake while in park?
Doing that locks both output shafts on the t-case.
Keep in mind that any slack will need to be taken up before it stays in park.
So while at home put it in park and then try and push it, how far will it roll?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Well the ebrake was purposely left off just so I could see if the vehicle would move. In 10 minutes it rolled 4 feet then hit the curb. I thought that since the drive shaft was not connected that the rear would not lock up thus causing the vehicle to roll.

So I have the t case and waiting for my mechanic to pick up the vehicle next weekend. Hopefully this will cure my little problem.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A member on this forum went through a similar issue. It ended up being a bad differential that was causing the problem. However, the drive shaft being disconnected might also be the culprit. In either case, you need to bring the rear differential back online and get a drive shaft back on it. Driving on 2 wheels will work in an emergency, but its not good for the truck to do it full time.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Without all the driveshafts connected this one will be hard to figure out.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Mudding

you try locking the CDL?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Well thanks for the insight and I'll have to wait until the t case gets put in before diagnosing the rear differential.

Question: I saw a differential on Ebay that said that it was a 4 pin vs 2 pin. What is stock and what is the difference?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench

you try locking the CDL?
They don't have a manual locker, only viscous.

They only made one type of differential for the P38. Idk if its a 2 or 4 pin. My advice, make sure it is specifically for a P38. They do not interchange with the Discovery or RR classic. Here is the part number: TBB000270, and do you have the ebay link so we can verify it is the correct differential?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Scott,

Below is the ebay link to the differential:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench

That differential should work fine for your range. The differentials are interchangeable front to rear if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: My Rover is rolling while in park