General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all of you seasoned RR drivers - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all of you seasoned RR drivers - Help!

I really need some Honest, sincere, answers from all of you.
I'm new to RR. I'm supposed to be placing an order for a 2010 RRSport HSE this week but I'm having 2nd thoughts due to all the bad reviews I keep reading.
Is the RR that terribly constructed? I really want and need a totally reliable vehicle that isn't going to live at the repair shop or get stuck on the fwy!
And is the gas mileage that horrific?
Are the Land Rover Dealerships helpful and supportive of you drivers with all these problems and repaires?
Am I going to go completely broke trying to maintain a RR?
Are the instruments that difficult to learn? That's what manuals are for right?

I hope I'm not offending any of you loyal drivers. I am in love with this vehicle, but I just want to make the right decision. I'm a BMW driver and never have any problems with it.

Thank you everyone!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Three Wheeling

Range Rovers are good new, It's when they get older you better get too know something about them. Dealerships are expensive, roughly 107 dollars an hr labor but if its new it's got a warranty, Diagnostics $150 charge to hook it up. I've had very few problems that I couldn't take car of myself, unless it comes to diagnostics like setting the idle because all the equipment and programs are owned by Land Rover so you must use them. On the average on a new vehicle I doubt you will ever see a problem.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
5th Gear

Thank you for your opinion. Yes, I'm not a mechanic or handy woman in any way so I need a good warranty.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Drifting

I've always thought that consumer reports gave LR a bad rap over the SUV gas milage issue. Plus I think they try to compare every car they test to a Porsche as handling goes.

My RRSC is a smooth reliable all weather vehicle.I think they are the OFFICIAL Denver SUV. They are also one of the smoothest cars I've driven that will plow through deep snow and climb a brick wall if you want to.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Rovers are pretty solid. Sure there are some lemons but every manufacturer has some lemons... and you are legally protected if you do get a lemon. I'd just reiterate the importance of the warranty and purchasing the extended warranty as it will generally pay itself off very quickly.

ChipN is right about gas mileage. It's an SUV. One of the most capable and advanced SUVs. It's not a hybrid, has a powerful engine, and weighs quite a bit. Of course it gets low gas mileage... but it's not that out of range with other SUVs in the same class.

Dealer service really depends on the dealership. I would research the dealership you would be using since i've heard some horrible stories about some dealerships. Personally, i've had fantastic service with the two dealerships I regularly (which isn't that often) use. If you come in over every issue and are nitpicky, arrogant, and condescending then of course they might get tired of helping you.

Best of luck whatever you decide. And be sure and let us know if you pick one up after all!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 AM
5th Gear

Idivine -
You're the Best! Thank you. I actually did decide to bite the bullet by putting down a deposit on a RRSport. Blk on Blk. Should be arriving late October.

I hope you're enjoying your LRover
Best,
Karla

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, congrats on your future purchase. I am not too familiar with the RRS but I have done a fair amount of research on the LR3, which is slightly similar to the RRS. All I've gotta say, its a 2010, so you are covered under warranty and the lemon law. You'll be FINE. Rovers are excellent vehicles, but have their little quirks. Most of the quirks are electrical, because they feature technology that is cutting edge and not found on any other vehicle. So for the first 10k miles, you might expereicne some "teething" problems. None of which will leave you on the side of the road, they might just be slightly inconvient and annoying.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
5th Gear

LRScott:

This is what I like to hear. I know I'm being a big baby. People purchase RRovers everyday but I'm not rich and this is a big purchase for me. I just wanted to make sure it's the right one. But I feel much better with confidence after reading your post and the earlier ones.

Thank you for your advice! It's much appreciated.

Karla

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Get 19 inch wheels if you plan to do any serious 4-wheeling. The tire selection for the 20 inch wheels is limited right now but they are making more of them as time goes on.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I'm being a big baby.
No your not... Your just being cautious and doing research on something you are unsure of, which is a very smart move.