General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace airbags in 2001 RR

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace airbags in 2001 RR

Hey guys-

I have a 2001 Range Rovers 4.6 v8.

Where is the best place to purchase new bags so I can replace myself. About how much are these? What are things to watch out for when I replace these (mistakes you guys already made and learned from) =)

Thanx for the help.

VegasBD
vegasbd@gmail.com

Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Overlanding

You really should NOT touch the airbags yourself unless you really know what you are doing. Having to ask the question suggests that you do not.

Are you sure they need replacing - 9 years is not very long despite the often quoted 10 year life span.

If you have a warning light or something, take a look through this forum for the solution to a faulty connector.

If your bags have been triggered, take the truck to an expert. It doesn't have to be an LR 'stealer'.

Airbags contain explosives and can cause injury.

Cheers,

CJ ...

Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he is talking about the air suspension "air bags" lol. I've heard Arnott makes good ones http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Scott is right, he must be referring to the air springs. I have bought the Arnott ones and get them off their ebay store. They were less than thier sire and had free shipping. They are so easy to replace too and come with good instructions. I did my rear ones in about 20 minutes start to finish with clean up, I only used one hydraulic jack and did it all by myself.

The key is getting the sir lines back in prperly without any leaks.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Overlanding

Two great nations separated by a common language )

I heard about a guy who lost an eye just trying to prise off his steering wheel (not LR!)
and I always worry about people messing with SRS.

Cheers,

CJ ...

Last edited by cockneyjock; 02-17-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, don't worry i've done the same thing...

You are right about SRS airbags though. Very dangerous. I pulled my bumper off to remove my grill guard so I could restore it, and saw the air bag sensors (if two are crushed, the airbags blow). It was one of those DONT TOUCH IT moments.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Overlanding

Let's add a third great nation to that discussion... one that is accustomed to translating between the other two

Later model P38A's, such as VegasBD's, have sensors that trigger the SRS airbags (front and side). Crush Cans behind the front bumpers are for impact absorption only.

For EAS air-bags in the US, check out http://rover-renovations or Arnotts.

If touching anything to do with the SRS airbags, disconnect the battery and leave alone for at least ten minutes while the capacitors discharge.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by PaulP38A; 02-28-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Overlanding

Hey guys, I have had a discovery for sometime now but am trading it for a 2002 P38.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Arnott GIIIs bags? Do these just offer more droop and travel off road or do the provide vehicle lift at all suspension settings? Anyone use them yet?

Thanks,

Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by J-redrover
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Arnott GIIIs bags? Do these just offer more droop and travel off road or do the provide vehicle lift at all suspension settings? Anyone use them yet?
Hi Jared - I've run Arnott Gen III's in my past two P38A's and am very impressed.

On my previous P38A I changed from the stock air bags to the Gen III's and kept the original Boge shocks. The ride improvement was noticable straight away.

Then I changed over to Bilstein shocks as well and it improved further but was a lot firmer than stock, which may not be to some folks liking.

My current P38A also has Gen III's, but with extended Bilstein shocks to cope with the 2" lift and the extra travel offered by the Gen III's.

Each to their own, but if you intend to use your P38A off-road I would certainly recommend the Gen III's.

Cheers, Paul.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Overlanding

Hi Paul, Sound pretty great! Have a few more question about the system if you don't mind, and thank you for the speedy reply.

Does it give 2 inches of lift in every suspension setting all of the time? I'm concerned about clearing larger tires. What if I had a total failure and had 2-3 inch larger tires, would they crash into the finder wells?

Also where do you find the longer shocks, I haven't seen them around?

Thanks again,

Last edited by J-redrover; 03-01-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Need to replace airbags in 2001 RR