General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help! Starting problems 1998 P38

Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help! Starting problems 1998 P38

Hey guys. I have been doing tons of reading, and while im new to this forum, im not that new to problems with my 98 range rover. I have had many problems since owning her a year or two now, and still have not been able to resolve the ones related to starting her up. Right now, the truck is not running, because when i start her, she turns over fine, but then shuts off after a second or two. Sometimes, though this wont happen. It just happens for a little while, then it won't happen for a month. then, it will give me this problem again, and so on. I have checked most of the grounds, and relays. they seem to be ok, but im not a mechanic, don't have too much cash to bring it to one at the moment. i do know how to fix many things on my truck, but i am just not so electrically inclined...like checking voltage and testing parts, etc. with meters or whatever. i am more of a mechanical guy. ok, well, it seems as if there is a problem with either an electrical sensor causing it to shut off, or perhaps could it be the alarm system not letting her stay running? i doesn't seem mechanical, like a starter or anything, and I have not been able to have any luck messing around with the relays, wires, grounds, etc. Is there ANYTHING you guys could recommend to a guy like me to try to get her to stay on? SOmeone told me to disconnect the alarm, but i can't figure out how to do this. any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I really need my truck right now to get to work. Thanks guys.
Dave

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if the alarm would cause it to shut itself off but someone else who knows more about the alrm system may chime in on that. I would maybe look at the CPS cutting in and out. That would cuase it not to send a spark and then the engine will just turn over and never fire. That or it could be related to the fuel pump or even the O2 sensors. That is where I would look first if it was my vehicle.

Maybe if you can give some more detail about what it does exactly when it shuts itself off then it may help to pinpoint the issue a little more. Maybe also give us the mileage and recent service you have done as well.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going with fuel pump as well, if you've got a spark then check fuel.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 AM
3rd Gear

well, its weird because this happens, and then doesn't, happens, and then doesn't. usually the car will start, stay on for 1 second, sometimes it will stay on for as long as 2 seconds, and then just cut off. nothing comes up on the screen. What is the cps? thanks for the help so far. the truck has like 170k miles on her, and im pretty sure i hear the fuel pump turn on every time before i crank her on. hope this helps. thanks again.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Mudding

CPS = crankshaft position sensor

Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 AM
3rd Gear

oh, gotcha. Thanks, i will try that and let you know. Is that a hard job?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The MAF sensor can do this as well. I know cause I sprayed one by accident while diagnosing an air leak in the valve body.

But cps could be the issue.