General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Analysis

Who has had their oil tested? What company did you use? How much did it cost? I am thinking about having my oil tested to get a look into the health of my engine. Hopefully it comes back with a clean bill of heath but if there are problems it will give me a good baseline to monitor things.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I've ever heard of that being done. If things sound and feel smooth and there is no jelly oil junk on the rocker arms or down inside the engine that you can see. I would think your engine is fine. Oil gradually deteriorates with use in a usual manner. That and every car is going to be a bit different in regards to what contaminants get into the oil. So I personally can't see an oil test revealing anything other than traces of coolant and maybe, the need for a serious oil change . I did find an article on it and found it a bit interesting. I just wouldn't want to pay someone to do it for me if you know what I mean. http://www.schleeter.com/test/

Last edited by LRScott; 03-01-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Actually the test results are invaluable and worth every penny. It usually cost about $20 and is very detailed. From the analysis you can tell if you have abnormal wear or other problems. They can pinpoint problems with bearings and rings or pick up contaminates like water, fuel, or antifreeze. I usually do it every 30,000 miles or so. I have recently moved and now I need to find a new place. I am thinking about finding an online source. I am very meticulous about my vehicles care and this is one way to "look inside" without tearing the thing apart.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do a Google search for engine oil testing, you should find it.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling

I had already done a search and found dozens of them. I was just looking to see if anybody out here had a company that they have used and could recommend.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This is who I have used. They mail you the container and you only pay when you send in the sample. Others charge you when they send you the sample container. I believe the current price is about $25.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

My goal was to see if the properties that my oil is suppose to have to protect my engine are still good, and if there are any particles that were of issue and what they were and how big, and get a good guage on if my oil filter is doing the job as well. I am still learning how to read the results and what all I can gain from them, but I like the idea of a "blood test" if you will on my D2 to see what I cannot see. Fresh oil could just be put in all the time to keep oil that has its properties, but there still might be tell-tell signs that you would not see. So we will see if I learn anything and stretch the life of my D2. My 2 cents !

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 03-02-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

fix the leaks and maintain the vehicle and you will be fine.

oil analysis is only useful for diesels and trucking companies.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
fix the leaks and maintain the vehicle and you will be fine.

oil analysis is only useful for diesels and trucking companies.

No offense Rovin4Life, but thats the biggest myth I have heard in a long time. Obviously you have never received an oil analysis to see how detailed and accurate they are. If you care about your vehicle you should do it annually. You can save thousands over the life of a vehicle. It can alert you to a problem long before it is evident by other diagnosis methods and before symptoms start to show. I do not use this to prolong the life of my oil, I do it to check the health of the internals on my engine. I guarantee that I take better care of my truck than 99% of vehicle owners but I still feel it is important to do this test once or twice a year (I drive 40K+ miles a year) If you do a lot of heavy towing or other extreme use I would recommend doing it more often than that. This is the equivalent of getting blood work done. It gives you a snapshot of your internal health. Would you rather wait until you have a heart attack to take care of a problem or would you like some advance notice? The same goes for your engine.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

a set of eyes and a knowledge of the vehicle saves money not oil analysis. I work on the these vehicles for a living. Trust me, oil analysis won't tell you that the head is leaking onto the ground or your heater core orings are leaking or the diff is leaking.

or the tie rods are bad as is the electrical gremlins.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm sorry Rovin4life but I think you missed the boat. I'm not sure where you are going with this but I never claimed that an oil analysis would do anything other than give you an insight into the internal conditions of the engine. It is not about seeing how good your oil is, it is about what is being picked up by your oil. It is intended to be a useful tool IN ADDITION to regular maintenance procedures. I'm not saying only do an oil analysis and neglect everything else. Of course you should look at the vehicle as a whole. Not sure why you think heater cores, diffs, tie rods, or electrical issues have anything to do with an oil test. Also spending $20 a year year is pretty cheap when it can alert you to a problem that can cost several thousand dollars if untreated. Maybe $20 is a lot of money to you but for me it is a cheap investment and worth every penny.

What it can tell you:
Contaminates such as anifreeze, fuel, dirt, or moisture
Oxidation, acidity, salts
Worn bearings, bushings, valve guides, timing gears, cranks, camshafts, rings, thrust washers, oil pump, or water pump.

This is easily worth $20 to me... Maybe you have x-ray vision and can see these things but I don't so I rely on this test to give me a little more insight into my engine. This test will pick up problems long before your eyes and ears will. I'm not trying to pick a fight here I am just trying to say that I like my Rover and I have no problem investing $20 now and then to see how it is doing inside. It sure is easier than dropping the pan and getting out the micrometer...