General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OVERALL RANGE ROVER RELIABILITY?????

Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVERALL RANGE ROVER RELIABILITY?????

Hello all, i just came across this forum and figured this would be an ideal place to post a question regarding the rap that the Range Rover seems to be aquireing. I'm new to the Range Rover, have never owned one, but i am getting ready to Purchase a 2008 Range Rover Supercharged. My only concern is the poor reliability Consumer Reports gives this vehicle. I've heard mixed opinions about them and i am not sure what to believe. i understand i'm posting a thread among people who have justified purchasing a range rover and would like to believe that they have spent a significant amount of money on quality, reliablity and craftmanship. i'm just curious to know if people are really having problems with this vehicle once its driven off the lot. Some may say that's a moot point because "its covered under warranty" but ultimately, this means less time in your car and the inconvienence of driving to/from the dealer. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: OVERALL RANGE ROVER RELIABILITY?????

If a 1996 HSE still going strong and looking good with no problems at 128000 miles counts, I am happy and loving my BEAST.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

I think its interesting that this message has had 77 hits, but only one reply???? and its regarding a 1996 model. Surely someone who owns a 2007/2008 model can comment??? i'm begining to think that the reputation may be true.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Little things always go wrong, it will be in and out of the shop.You have to really like thesetrucksenough to deal with their quirks. I've never spoken to or heard of a rover owner who didn't have to visit the shop atleast a couple of times per year (assuming you fixevery little thing). My rover is a daily to a highly modified mustang, and the mustang is more reliable thanmy stockHSEwith 40,000 miles on theclock... My father, in the car business for 30 years can't stand rovers, he won't touch them with a 10 foot pole!

A guy I know is on his 8th rover... 08 sport, he says affter his 2nd rover he learned to just always trade themin when they're out of warranty... With a warranty, I wouldn't worry about it, and the newer rovers are a little better, but they'll still have issues here and there...

I've had my new to me 04 for about 3 weeks now, I've already had a suspension failure (cheap fix), door lock needed to be replaced, power seats work intermittently. Intermittenet error messages... Mirrors work when they want, etc etc... I'd had it at a rover dealer and they can't even work out all the issues in one visit...

I'll say even with all the small issues, it's still a ride worthy of the headaches...

I could have bought an escalade or h2, but its just not the same... To me it's worth wrenching on it foran afternoon, or shelling out a few bucks to get it fixed propper... I'd be unhappy with anything else... So you're either a rover owner or you're not!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Mudding

Okay....now that a few others have replied, I guess I will say something.

We still have a slew of Rovers - 87 Classic with 250k+ that keeps chugging along, 96 P38 4.6 (110k - no more EAS), 2000 P38 (55k), 2001
Disco (115k), 2006 Sport (12k), 2006 4.4 (22k) and 2008 4.4 (5k). We've experienced the usual items with each. As for the 3 newer one's,
I won't own them past warranty - if that long. I don't enjoy the ride in the Sport so I will probably dump it someday, but I've been saying
that for a year or two and it just remains in the garage. My thought was I'd be putting kids in some of these but don't want to do that to
them so 2 teens thus far have both received new Honda's.

I am one of the 77 or so original people that read your post, and frankly just didn't understand it. If you're going to purchase a $100k vehicle,
covered under warranty - my thought is, why do you care? Not to be rude - but if you like it - and have the money, buy it. If it breaks, the
dealer gives you a loaner. If you hate it, dump it.

If you buy it and are still posting on here 3 or 4 years and 75k miles from now - then we'll probably all be having a different discussion.

I'm going to unload something before long just for the hell of it and buy a S550 4-Matic or a LS460 a nice "driving" vehicle, though I do
enjoy the ride of the 4.4's. As far as Rovers go, I understand the big changes won't be occuring again until 2010 models, so I'm waiting to
see if they do enough to impress me.

At your price point - you have A LOT of options - but if you want a Rover, get one.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

dont buy it! (read on if you have a moment)
i am a new member here in this forum and as i was looking around i came accross your post. i have a 2007 range rover westminster. #286 of 500. in the late 80's i owned a landrover county and after i got rid of itone year later ipromised myselfthat i would never ever buy a land rover again. fast foward to 2006 when my son and i found ourselves in a chicago showroom looking at the new 2007 rovers. (shame on me)against my better judgement we purchased and waited for a westminster edition range rover. black on black.being a man in my sixties with white hairmy son said that i looked "cool" in the car and that was that. Since the purchase i have been plagued. plagued with the chore of having to bring the vehicle in for servicetime and time again.plagued with having to stare at a check engine light everytime i look at the instrument cluster. but worst of all, plagued with having to deal with 2 local dealerships that have absolutely no idea how to remedy any problems with my vehicle and have absolutely no idea of what customer service means.
You ask how reliablea 2007 or 2008 rover is. here is a short list of the issues i have had and things that maybe you want to think about beforemaking a purchase.they may seem like"quirks" to some but i have a slightly different opinion.
One week after purchase I had to bring it back for a check engine light, tire pressure light and ALL four doors neededto have the hinges replaced due to defective/loose hinges.-
Leftrear door weather stripping came off entire inside of door and fell out in a parking lot as a friend entered my rover-
Harmonic balanceron front of engine neededto be replaced.-
Right side sun visor fell out of roof and had to be re-drilled and tapped for replacement.-
Whistleing noise from windshield ended in a replacement of the windshield molding.
GPS system needed to be tended to. I was being informed to take turns while on ahighway wherethere were no exits orramps.
this is just a short list. i wish that i could say that i am being too particular orunreasonable. but after spending over 100k on a vehicle i thinkthat it should perform like a $107,000 vehicle. the check engine light is still on to this day. unfortunately for me i purchased an extended warranty for this vehicle at the time of purchaseso i will be keeping my rover for another yearor so.
being in theautomobile business myself i am always asked by my freinds what car they should purchase. i drove alexus lx470 for years.i owned about 5 of them. i wanted a change and wentto rover. i cant wait to change back!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear

Hello,
several months ago I purchased an 03 RR HSE..I have wanted one for quite some time and it currently has 100km on it. So far nothing has gone wrong and the previous owner had nothing but praise for this vehicle. It may be more of a hit or miss scenario with these vehicles although I do know the newer sports etc have nothing but electrical problems. Stick to the BMW powertrain models to be safe....

Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Do what I do and lease. It is more expensive in the long run but you get new cars every couple of years and the problems have been to a minimum (2007 - 15 months old - 16,000 miles). Some minor problems (all electrical except for one door trim failure) but all in all it has been great.

I own two Lexus vehicles and it is true that they are virtually problem free but there is nothing like the Rover. I am definitely going to lease another when my lease expires.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Land Rover Range Rovers are In my opinion the suv to buy! Nothing else compares, Rovers have always been a little quirky andmay require morevisitsto the dealer than say a lexus or toyota, but who wants a lexus? boring!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: lrobin3w

...Rovers have always been a little quirky andmay require morevisitsto the dealer than say a lexus or toyota, but who wants a lexus? boring!!!
Um, more people thanany luxury brand in the US.

Lexus makes an unbelievable car. For the full size sedan, there was no question in my mind that the LS460 was better than my other choices (7/S/A8) but for the full size SUV, Range Rover is the best choice.

lrobin3w makes a great (unintentional) point. People will bash Lexus and others will bash Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. but at the end of the day, it is your decision. While I love my Range Rover, it is not for every one. If some problems bother you then this is not the car for you. With that said, it is a good car with great capabilities, exclusivity and luxury. I love it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OVERALL RANGE ROVER RELIABILITY?????