General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P O S's

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P O S's

I asked my wife... what car she wanted. She wanted the newer body style RR. Anyhow, am I the only one who thinks these trucks are POS's? I heard so many horror stories about these trucks. Consumer Reports knocks them down, just like Lemon Aid and other top book shelf purchase info. publications. I haven't heard anything remotely good about LR and their trucks.

I have a $500 92 Jetta and it's better I think. From an owner. I would like to offer my assistance. Stay clear from these trucks. Buy something else. Really

Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rovers are not for the faint of heart. You either love them or hate them! Apparently you hate yours. I have not found vehicles that have such a rugged core. People get pissed off about every little thing, and guess what? Lots of little things tend to go on rovers. Their engines and transmissions hold firm for ages though. I haven't found too many other SUVs that will cross the 200k mark and still sound good.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I love mine and wouldn't drive anything else. Mine has 131k miles and I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it tomorrow and drive coast to coast (although my checking account probably wouldn't allow it.)

Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Mudding

Parents have an 04, does great off road and other than replacing the radiator and brakes and tires it has needed nothing

Old 02-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandrangie
I asked my wife... what car she wanted. She wanted the newer body style RR. Anyhow, am I the only one who thinks these trucks are POS's? I heard so many horror stories about these trucks. Consumer Reports knocks them down, just like Lemon Aid and other top book shelf purchase info. publications. I haven't heard anything remotely good about LR and their trucks.

I have a $500 92 Jetta and it's better I think. From an owner. I would like to offer my assistance. Stay clear from these trucks. Buy something else. Really
I am assuming you own one but I do not see you say what you have, all I see is "I hear". Of course it is a POS for you; it knows you do not want it and so like a psycho girlfriend she will make your life miserable. If you give the truck some love though it will save your butt when all others fail. Keep your Jetta, it is nothing like the Range and so there is no way to compare it. That is like me saying my bike is so much more reliable then the Rover, of course it is, but then it doe snot have the personality either or get confused for any other vehicle out there.

Sorry for the rant but Land Rovers in general get a bad rap; most of the problems are caused by neglect from owners because they really cannot afford to take it to the dealer and so they do nothing. Then someone else buys it and they say it has so many problems it must be junk.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling

I think my Range Rover is great, and I have thought about replacing it with the newer body style. For the time being though, I will keep it because it is so reliable and I like it. Sure, when something breaks, it costs more money to fix than a Honda, but that is true with any high-end make. I am guessing that a Range Rover is probably not the car for you based on the fact that you are curently driving a $500 jetta. There are lots of other SUVs out there to choose from. Most get better fuel economy and are much cheaper to own than a Range Rover. Of course they're not as nice...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

And keep in mind that you must use premium fuel, if you dont you will have problems.

If you buy a $90,000 car you will need to treat it like a $90,000 car and it will require the care and love that a $90,000 car needs.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
4wd Low

Real good arguments fellas. Still, what do you have to say when consumers report and other syndicated publications rate the LR RR worst buy no matter what year or model?? I guess I'm just bitter I got a lemon.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know they are rated among the worst in terms of quality and reliability. When comparing cars, they look at how many trips the customer made to the dealership to get it fixed in any given year. And, rovers have lots of little issues, which means they get to visit dealerships a lot. That and personally I think some of quality ratings are biased. I've ridden in some cars that are rated as the best, and it feels like its going to fall apart. When people go to the dealership to fix something as simple as a clogged evaporator, which takes nothing more than a coat hangar to unclog, they get charged $150 to have the dealer do it. Then they come back because their seat heater or other BS isn't working and start getting charged $400 to $1000 for each visit. Before you know it, they've spent thousands on the car for little issues they could have resolved themselves. Then they get all pissed off about it and complain on edmunds. On another note, LR does rate among the highest for customer satisfaction.

Rovers are high maintenance. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Mainly due to the fact they have more stuff on them that can break. Sorta like saying a 737 is more reliable than a 747 because it has less engine problems, even though the 747 has twice the engines and twice the amount of stuff that can break. Rovers are quirky and have mood swings etc... Its those 32 on-board computers battling with each other because they are so complex that not even their masters (the dealership) knows why they are behaving in a certain fashion. Hyundais only have 1 to 5 computers... see where I am going with this? We have about 3 RRs in our neighborhood. One is a similar model to yours. I will ask their owners from time to time if they like theirs and what kind of problems they have. Usually the response is "oh just some quirky BS, but otherwise a great car". From the sound if it, I think you did get a lemon. It happened to my cousin with one, same year too. Is yours by chance black and from CA? We usually do not have a lot of people coming here with MarkIIIs. Its mainly P38 rovers like mine. You might consider reviewing this site:http://rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html

and then when your done with that, go here:http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewfor...44acfbc33ba404

They will be better at assisting you with a MarkIII rover. Please note though, call a rover a POS over there and they will never let you hear the end of it!

Rovers are not for everyone. However, when you get into your car and turning the key puts a big smile on your face. You have found the right car. Otherwise, keep searching.

Last edited by LRScott; 02-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Islandrangie,
I love, yes love my Rover, but I'm curious about what is exactly wrong with yours that we may be able to assist in solving. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience at your fingertips and all without costing you an diagnosis charge. I still believe anything can be fixed. Yes these boys are expensive to keep up, but after all a well maintained rover will take great care of you. CR is based on consumers who may not know what type of vehicle they are dealing with. Many rovers are not taken care of and sold off to someone who will not give it the care that it needs like stated by other members here. Syndicated publications may just be reporting the negative like newspapers. I'm positive there are more positive things that go unwritten about these on and off road warriors that are never published. Look on this site alone and you will find many of the questions answered with very simple solutions. Owners have such a fellowship that they have developed forums to discuss problems and success stories of adventure with their Rovers. Some of the worlds most remote islands use rovers instead of any other vehicle, now thats saying a lot. Nothing last forever and when mother natures gets a hold of your Rover year after year it takes its toll like on ALL vehicles. Give it a little TLC and it will start giving back the service you expect.