General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p38 blowing oil up dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p38 blowing oil up dipstick

hi ,i have a 1998 p38 2.5dt.at 3000 rpm oil squirts out small hole at the top of the dipstick.
oil level is ok. have changed oil,filter, cleaned all hoses,cleaned rocker cover breather.cleaned mesh under rocker cover,and have looked for egr valve which i dont seem to have being 1998.
would anybody have any suggestions as this is beginning to get to me.
also if you put your hand over the breather hose on rocker cover it squirts oil out.

would it possibly be rings ????

hope somebody can throw some light

Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling

Head gasket? How does it run?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
6th Gear

runs fine plenty of power ,no oil in water or water in oil

Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling

You checked all of the things that I would have. To get oil out of your dipstick there must be a huge amount of pressure building. The biggest thing would be the PCV valve. If that can't handle the blowby you might have some serious problems. Does it seem to run ok with normal power? I think you need to do a compression test and a leakdown test. That should alert you to any problems with your rings/pistons. You could also try temporarily pulling the breather hose off the valve cover and see if that changes anything. On my Rover I had a breather hose that became creased at one of the bends and bocked airflow. Might want to check for that.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
6th Gear

thanks Chris
have ruled out head gasket asno loss of water ,no oil in water or no water in oil.not overheating,and power is as normal.
I am doubtful if it is rings ,as it does not burn oil,and i can only presume if it was it would have gotten worse as time went by.
I hope it is something blocked,and really like to think of pcv valve.however i am no mechanic and perhaps you can guide me to location of this ????

you also mention taking off pipe on valve cover,is this the breather hose on rocker cover ?
many thanks fitz

Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were building up that much pressure, oil would be leaking in plenty of other places. Is that the case? The first thing that comes to my mind is the amount of oil in the engine. How much did you put in?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
6th Gear

hi I put in 9.5 litres as recommended in owners manual.oil not coming from anywhere else,and even when half full on dipstick oil will still squirt out when at high revs.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry, thought it was a V8. I would check your compressions, if they are low, that is probably the problem right there. As the pressure would leak into the crank case and cause oil to spray. It could be a worn block or worn piston rings like Krazz said. Check your compressions and then go from there. BTW, how many miles are on your rover?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:59 PM
6th Gear

hi again ,150k miles on clock.it is 2.5dt diesel engine BMW.Chris mentioned pcv valve
should this be checked ,or where is it located ? thanks fitz

Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm not too familiar with the diesel models. I would download the rave service manual from greenoval.com . It will tell you where the pcv valve is and if it has one.

Quick Reply: p38 blowing oil up dipstick