General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 Snorkel - Design Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P38 Snorkel - Design Feedback

Hey Guys!

I was wondering how many people out there would be interested in a Snorkel for their P38 if i were to have one designed and fabricated? They would end up costing about $500 AUD$, maybe cheaper if i can get more than 100 Made??? ( i recently spoke to one of the industrial designers).

I have asked an industrial Designer to do the design work so the vehicle would be aesthetically pleasing, and functional.

The snorkel would increase your wading depth, get cleaner cooler air to your engine, thus increasing power.

If i can get a show of hands to whos interested, then if there is enough interest i can get the designers to go to work!!

And once i have the pictures from the designers, then you could see what the prototype would look like..

Let me know, dunbar_r@hotmail.com
Ryan

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I love wading lol, I just don't like risking getting stuck and flooding the car and destroying the BECM, since its mounted under the seat...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LRScott
Even though I love wading lol, I just don't like risking getting stuck and flooding the car and destroying the BECM, since its mounted under the seat...
What he said...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:37 AM
3rd Gear
Default Wading in the P38

Originally Posted by krazzz
What he said...
Originally Posted by LRScott

Hey Guys,

hahaha recently i got stuck at a place called Ravenshoe, QLD Australia. It was about 800mm and yes the becm did get wet!, and it went hay wire for a bit although i dried it out and it all worked fine again.

with a snorkel, a water blanket and good planning, no water should get in the car and you should be able to face most river crossings with confidence. Heaps of guys out here have a problem with that plastic liner in the wheel arch not sitting right, and one guy went through a puddle water splashed up and got sucked into his inlet and ...you guessed it hydraulic'd the motor. ( yes it was a long puddle, about 20m, although he wasnt going that fast and it was only about 10cm deep.

Having a snorkel fitted to your car eliminates that one little worry, well thats how i see it anyway. and for cooler cleaner air??

LUCKY8 land rover over there can water proof any computer and they have a nice little video of a engine computer being dunked and then submerged in water for thirty minutes, they even put running water on the plug... and still runs... this would give you a little peice of mind when facing a wading situation, although keeping water out of the car is the first issue. But piece of mind anyway (just in case).

Please dont get me wrong i think that my range rover can go anywhere ( currently i have never been snatched out of any situation...oops cursed myself), but i am not talking about the over the bonnet kind of depths that the defenders and discos go to, but with a few of these things up my sleeve, when i see that water crossing, i can cross it safely and confidently

Let me know your thoughts?

Ryan

Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean Razza, computers can be sealed. I've made many computers water tight in the high school I went to. It is perfectly feasible. I love going into water and letting my range do what it does best. LOL, another story, I was leaving a drive through and went through a flooded parking lot. A 4 runner thought they could follow me... yeah... they got stuck. As cruel as it was, I was pointing and laughing. Personally, I don't like to get into a situation where the cab can be flooded, whether the becm is secure or not. If you are an avid rover fan that loves pushing the limits, GREAT! I encourage it! I am very curious about the new design that you and the machinists have to offer. However, I personally will not be a patron, mainly because I do not wish to push said limits. Unless, the snorkel is really that unnoticeable, then I might purchase one.

Last edited by LRScott; 02-26-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I love the idea of the snorkel, the chance of me needing it are slim. I actually see more benefit if I lived in a very dusty place like AU rather than the water issue.

I have seen a couple of other designs for the P38, some good and some really bad. The invaestment for making 100 of them at $50,000 AU is a high risk business venture. I can maybe see one offs happening for those that really want them but tyring to find 100 of us that want them would be tough.