General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 with a super charger and a SSE on the rear gate

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P38 with a super charger and a SSE on the rear gate

I was wondering if anyone could shed more info on a P38 I found out back.
It has some kind of hood bulge on it with peeling bondo, under the hood is a supercharger it looks to be sort of a factory job but i am not sure, the truck is a 2001 and i was not sure how to tell if its a GEMS engine or a Bosch.
There are letters on the rear tailgate that say SSE instead of HSE.
I didnt see any Calloway badges
Does anyone know what this may be, sorry no pictures Its black with a black interior, thanks for your time

Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2001 is definitely a Bosch. Callaways were built in 1999 not 2001 and were red. More than likely, its a fake replica of the 97 SSE that was produced and had some major engine problems... Thus, causing it to flounder as a product. I think only 200 were ever made. Pictures would produce a positive ID as well as VIN # if you are willing to give it.

Last edited by LRScott; 02-24-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling

I found some pictures ONLINE this isnt the actual truck but this is what it looks like. i dont have a VIN yet.

Attached Thumbnails P38 with a super charger and a SSE on the rear gate-100_0844.jpg   P38 with a super charger and a SSE on the rear gate-100_0849.jpg   P38 with a super charger and a SSE on the rear gate-cameronconcepts.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Cameron Concepts made a SSE RR in 1997. It was not "officially" made by LR but they were customized by Cameron Concepts, much like Overfinch customizes RRs today. The pictures make it look like a GEMS range rover based on the valve covers. I would double check the year of the truck and definitely purchase it if you can. Otherwise, I WILL! lol

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen that one before, are you looking to buy it or is it in a wrecking yard?

I know some extra power would be good to have, I just wonder about the reliability of it.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be cool to own. Of course, I don't know how much sense it makes to supercharge an engine that already suffers from headgasket/intake manifold gasget issues.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling

so is the GEMS engine worse for reliability?? or is the difference the engine management system??
I found another picture of the Bosch engine supercharger system and it clearly shows the AC compressor sitting on top center of the engine and the supercharger sitting where the MAF would be on the Bosch engine.
So your eval of this being a GEMS engine seems accurate.
I still have to go confirm the MFG date and see if I can get a VIN .
This is a truck like most that will need lots of work. the front lower bumper is badly pitted from stone chips, the hood has a badly applied hood bulge twill peeling off bondo, the headliner is falling, the air bags are probalbly ready for replacement and the battery is dead, all of the rotors are very old with deep wear ridges on them ,worn out tires and only one sided exhaust with 2 tips that exits the right rear of the truck.
On a good note the coolant bottle was full....

Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

I got the VIN SALPV1446WA380959
BUILD DATE : 9/97

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Pro Wrench

You found are rarity bud. If the price is reasonable, go for it! If it does become to much to keep, you could probably get quite a bit out of it if you sell it restored.

I will say at the risk of being yelled at, that the GEMS engines seem more reliable. The only reason I believe this, is the fact the BOSCH management uses the crappy dexcool that has been proven to cause gasket failures, which cause the engine to over heat and ultimately drop a sleeve . Many have switched from dexcool to the green OAT and have had lots of luck. My gaskets are original and still very strong... The BOSCH management doesn't seem to be as quirky as the GEMS though, just a thought...

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine in question is a Bosch motor (I have a 1999 SSE) And it has been very reliable so far. The super charger and valve/cam work done to these motors has brought the HP to approx 400 hp and the suspension upgrades keep it low tight and on the road.

Quick Reply: P38 with a super charger and a SSE on the rear gate