General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible cracked block, blown gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible cracked block, blown gasket

First I would like to thank everyone that has helped me with past issues. Now I have a potentialy huge problem. It all started with a leaking radiator. I replaced the radiator and the new one was cracked within a hour of installation. So I did an engine block test and it failed. This means there are exhaust gasses in my cooling system. The gasses are creating the pressure to crack the radiator. The way I understand it either the heads are warped, the head gasket it blown or the WORSE case the block is cracked and I need a new engine. The Rover is a 1998 Range HSE by the way. So my question is, which of the three is the most likely to occur?

I've already ordered new head gaskets and will replace them this weekend. Thats the cheapest fix. I'll let you guys know the outcome. Thanks for the time and help.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Winching
Default RE: possible cracked block, blown gasket

Ugh, I hate to say this but, 99% of the time It is a slipped liner. You can't see it but, it is.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 4.0 liter,bait is rite, ill see if i can find another block but i dont believe anymore gems blocks are avalible probably will have to convert to a bosch

Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM
4wd Low

Bad news and good news. I did have a crack. So I though with no where to go but up I'd try a ten dollar bottle of "Bar's block and head gasket sealer". It worked like a champ. Yesterday I couldnt drive around the block without overheating. I just got back from a fifty mile trip to Sacramento and back. Not a sign of leakage or overheating. The process was pretty simple and definately worth a shot before replacing the short block, heads or both. I even performed a block test and the Range passed with flying colors. For those of you who dont know what a block test is I'll tell you. It is a test that indicates wether or not there or exhaust gasses in your cooling system. Before there were and now there is none. If anyone has any questions about this whole ordeal let me know, because now I consider myself or at least feel like a expert on the matter. And thanks again guys for the replys and help.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

That is a very sweet resolution. My father-in-law used that stuff on an old truck with your problem about 5 years ago and it's still alive. He does keep a spare bottle on the shelf, though. Nice work.